Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

High School pep sections. Can they cross the line?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter had a traumatic game over the weekend. The opposing teams male fans hurled insults at our gilrs, calling them out by name and saying they sucked, along with insults about their bodies and some sexual in nature. Our fans and parents were on the other end and had no idea until the game was over. Some people feel it's  "spirited rivalry" and the girls need to tune it out and ignore it. Easier said than done when it is personal jabs at your appearance and abilities. My daughter cried for a couple of hours and said she had never been so humiliated in her life. Supposedly the school's athletic director finally put a stop to it after the fans insulted the referee's trying to stop it as well. I found out from some friends the same thing happened when their school played there.

Do you think we have a case to complain to our state athletic board about bullying, or is all fair in a "spirited rivalry"?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Seems this is more the norm these days. I take it your dd is a cheerleader. Sadly she should get a thicker skin. Also she needs to know to not let the losers get to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Our athletic director does not allow it.    It is considered unsportsmanship conduct.   Those yelling personal insults are removed from the stands/games.

Bertieb
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM

No, she was a player and she can handle it on the field if it's between players. This was a group of young men yelling at girls things like "Jane Doe you boobless fat-ass, you suck!" And other things sexual in nature. That,(in my opinion) is low-class and bullying and should not be tolerated by a school. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Seems this is more the norm these days. I take it your dd is a cheerleader. Sadly she should get a thicker skin. Also she needs to know to not let the losers get to her.

girlsclubmom
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Wow-that is completly out of line. I would get whoever I could to register a complaint with you. 

Jessy76
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
This is not acceptable. I am sickened by anyone who would think it is. I would absolutely go to the school athletic director or the school board there is no reason for that kind of behavior. If I were the school principle I would be extremely embarrassed to have students representing my school in such and childish and immature manor.
askmommy
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Complain. It's against our league rules.
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I agree that type of talk definitely crosses a line.  I would contact your daughter's coach or athletic director and ask how they are handling it and go from there. 

Reina13
by Reina on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Wait, are you talking about the student section? Are those the people who were hurtling insults?

Usually an administrator is required to be at all games. I would immediately call the school find out who the administrator was who was on duty during that game and let them know what happened. Contacting the athletic director would just be a matter of courtesy since they couldn't do anything about it. A school admin would have to take action since it was students and not the other athletes acting out.

Roo1234
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

"spirited rivalry" should not include personal attacks.  If the community thinks that is acceptable then I would be questioning the community.  

That being said, unless you can obtain actual evidence and not just he said/she said anecdotes it would be difficult to pursue.  Would it be worth your while to talk to the board?  I think that getting them to open up a dialogue would be good for everyone involved, but again, you have to be committed to not just saying "this is wrong", but in helping them to find a way for it to be addressed in an effective and meaningful manner.  Do your research.  Get video evidence.  Get a cross section of parents, students, etc from other schools involved. Find out from experts to recommend how this "spirit" can be redirected into more appropriate actions.

Bertieb
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I've since found out a Field Administrator is to be on hand from the school because the referee's cannot address the fans or crowd, only players and coaches. No one is to be on the grounds within 20 yards of the playing field and these boys were. The last we heard from the school is the usual "We are taking care of it." My ex hustand seems very interested in taking this on, he is an attorney and baseball umpire so I've decided to let him take over for my part, he certainly has the tools and contacts if anything can be done.

Quoting Reina13:

Wait, are you talking about the student section? Are those the people who were hurtling insults?

Usually an administrator is required to be at all games. I would immediately call the school find out who the administrator was who was on duty during that game and let them know what happened. Contacting the athletic director would just be a matter of courtesy since they couldn't do anything about it. A school admin would have to take action since it was students and not the other athletes acting out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)