Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

A Philosophy major? Really???

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
  • 65 Replies

My son is considering majoring in Philosophy.  Seriously.  I am at a loss for words.  I asked what he intends to do with a degree in philosophy...he isn't sure.  He just knows he finds it very interesting.  Great.

This is my analytical kid.  He is walking, talking logic.  Black & White...grey does not exist in his world.  His mind is amazing.  He can talk anyone in circles, he is a master manipulator...and a knowledgeable one. I can understand why he loves philosophy.... but he excels in math & science.  His dream for years was to study mechanical engineering.  Then he decided on Computer Sciences....now Philosophy?  What??

I have suggested minoring in Philosophy.  Evidently, it isn't available in a minor.   I have asked him to look into career options related to philosophy, as I can't imagine him teaching.   I am worried how he will support himself with such a degree.

Help?  Anyone?  Please? 

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
So many degrees are useless. I would talk and show him how useless it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

So many degrees are useless. I would talk and show him how useless it is.

I'm trying!  

anotherhalf
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Encourage him to get a double major. Sounds like he could manage that.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Quoting anotherhalf:

I agree.   He does not.  He thinks that I am punishing him for not majoring in what I deem worthy.  He would have to almost double his work load, which is evidently "sucking the fun out of the college experience".

anotherhalf
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
IMO, if you are financing this "fun college experience" you have every right to have a say. If he's financing it, you don't. He really will be wasting it on a philosophy degree unless he wants to get a post graduate education and become a lawyer or professor or something like that.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting anotherhalf:

I agree.   He does not.  He thinks that I am punishing him for not majoring in what I deem worthy.  He would have to almost double his work load, which is evidently "sucking the fun out of the college experience".

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Quoting anotherhalf:

IMO, if you are financing this "fun college experience" you have every right to have a say. If he's financing it, you don't. He really will be wasting it on a philosophy degree unless he wants to get a post graduate education and become a lawyer or professor or something like that.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting anotherhalf:

Agreed.   He was awarded a scholarship and grants....  we pay the remainder, which isn't much, actually.  But I still want a say! 

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Is he a Freshman?  I wouldn't worry too much about this.  I too LOVED Philosophy but ended up with a degree in English and Communications.  Probably not much better than a degree in Philosphy in terms of 'usefulness.'  I became gainfully employed upon graduation, worked my way up the coroporate ladder for the next 8 years, took 10 years off to raise my children, and am now back in the full-time workforce.  There is a saying, 'Do what you love and the money will follow.' The more you try and push him away from his chosen major, the more he will embrace it.  My niece went from wanting to be a Pop Star at age 15, to Lawyer at 17, to finally graduating as a certified High School Teacher, only to find out during her student teaching that she HATES it. She is now pursuing her Realtor's license.  It sometimes takes time, and some trial and error, to figure it all out--but that is all part of the life experience that shapes who we are.  He may end up a double major, which wouldn't be bad at all--he will be extremely well-rounded!  Just support him and he will eventually figure it out.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Quoting Niccalyn:

Is he a Freshman?  I wouldn't worry too much about this.  I too LOVED Philosophy but ended up with a degree in English and Communications.  Probably not much better than a degree in Philosphy in terms of 'usefulness.'  I became gainfully employed upon graduation, worked my way up the coroporate ladder for the next 8 years, took 10 years off to raise my children, and am now back in the full-time workforce.  There is a saying, 'Do what you love and the money will follow.' The more you try and push him away from his chosen major, the more he will embrace it.  My niece went from wanting to be a Pop Star at age 15, to Lawyer at 17, to finally graduating as a certified High School Teacher, only to find out during her student teaching that she HATES it. She is now pursuing her Realtor's license.  It sometimes takes time, and some trial and error, to figure it all out--but that is all part of the life experience that shapes who we are.  He may end up a double major, which wouldn't be bad at all--he will be extremely well-rounded!  Just support him and he will eventually figure it out.

This will be his second year.   I have been hearing that saying a lot lately...from him!  lol.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad I talked dd out of elem education. She is glad to. She is majoring in finance, one of the 10 fastest growing jobs. Most useful degree list too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM

This is useless.  Simply say, "I will NOT pay for you to get a useless degree."

When my dd wanted to major in art, we said, we will NOT pay for just an art degree.  Just in case you are not selling paintings like the next Picasso the day after you graduate, get something ELSE ALSO.  She got a double major in Studio Art, and Secondary Art Education.  She has been a HS teacher for 9 years, & makes a great salary.  She also makes her own art, but does not sell enough to support herself. 

With the cost of a college education today, it is ridiculous to pay for something the student will never be able to support themselves with.  OR to come out of college with $150K in debt, and making 20K a year, if they are lucky.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)