Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

When your son or daughter says this, how do you react?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 20 Replies

"I might as well kill myself"

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wants2play
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I have a 16yr old son who has been diag with... Bipolar, depression, ADHD, odd n mild ocd... He says things often and has harmed himself several times. You know your child. Try not to panic. Look past the fact they are your baby and see if there are other telling signs of depression. If so... Take them to the hosp for an eval. If not... It's for attention. Saddly I've hear many kids admitting to using those 5alarm words to cause us to panic and then they get their way because we are afraid to "stress" or upset them. Either way... Communicating with the teen is extremely important. You will need to much more than just mom... Good luck.
wants2play
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I have a 16yr old son who has been diag with... Bipolar, depression, ADHD, odd n mild ocd... He says things often and has harmed himself several times. You know your child. Try not to panic. Look past the fact they are your baby and see if there are other telling signs of depression. If so... Take them to the hosp for an eval. If not... It's for attention. Saddly I've hear many kids admitting to using those 5alarm words to cause us to panic and then they get their way because we are afraid to "stress" or upset them. Either way... Communicating with the teen is extremely important. You will need to much more than just mom... Good luck.
bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I would be very concerned
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Well I take that back unless I was 100% certain they were joking or being sarcastic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
It does depend on the context, but if it was serious, I would be very concerned.

If I thought my child was a threat to themselves, I would take them to a mental ward for evaluation.
MonicaP76
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

My kids have never said that.

Dawn96
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I would respond "Why do you think that? I love you and would miss you horribly." and then let them fill in the silence....

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I would be concerned. Mine never said that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Monsita
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I would hug her, and making eye contact I would tell her "please tell me why you feels this way!" .....YOU ARE LOVED BY SO MANY PEOPLE as......
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I'd be concerned, especially if there was a recent change in behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN