Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What is on your teens reading list?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 4 Replies

Have your teens received their required reading list yet?

What is on it?

I found that when my kids were in high school, most of the classics were missing and in place were more modern books. Are you finding this same thing in your teens school?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM

We haven't received a reading list yet.

SahmTam
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM

His L.A. teacher just went over this at Back to School Night. She didn't provide a list of books, but she was describing some of them. He is in an intervention class with only 12 kids- mostly boys. It sounded like most of the books are "coming of age" type books set in different time periods and circumstances.

Anyway, on his own he is currently reading "Brian's Return", which is a sequel to the novel "Hatchet" that he read last year in 6th grade.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

My dd wont have a required reading list.  She doesnt have a traditional English/language arts class.  Her psych class did send out a list of movies  but i'm not sure she has to watch all of them tho. 

My son will have to read actual books this year  dont know the whole year but I'm pretty sure they are about to read lord of the flies.

MY 6th grader (11) i'm not sure the whole year but they are reading Maniac Mcgee right now.  Its her favorite book and will be her 5th time reading it.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My ODD is in 10th grade this year.  Her required summer reading for her honors English class was Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men.  They tend to give them the "classic" novels over the summer and they read more contemporary works during the school year.  I have invested in quite a few classic novels and have encouraged my kids to read them.  My DD had already read her required summer reading but did re-read one of them because it had been a couple of years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN