Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

mono in college (dorming)

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

Dau room mate has mono I am freaking out I know  you can get it threw salvia and sharing cups.

Help anyone every had this happen? She had a sore throat had to go to dr. She lives out of town might fly home today??  I am worried.  

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM
My youngest had mono in gradeschool, oldest in hs. It wasn't bad. Sore throat was the worst. They got over it fast. Nothing to really freak out over. The flu was way worse than mono.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I had mono in high school.  Got it from a water fountain by wiping my mouth with the hand that held the button.  It's horrible if it is not taken care of right away.  Well the strand I got was.  I also had it for over a month before doing anything about it.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I never had mono until I was an adult. I work in a high school and know I picked it up there.  It's been 5 years and I am still dealing with it. Worst thing ever as a adult.

My dd had mono when she was in middle school. She missed a week of school and hasn't had any issues since.

rory10
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM

just be extra careful and you'll be fine. I had it twice and there's defenately worse things that could happen.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Just talk to your DD about how to keep herself safe (i.e. no sharing cups, silverware, etc.) and tell her the warning signs to watch out for to know if she may be coming down with it.

HopesNDreams
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I feel sad for everyone on that flight - one sneeze or cough and they are all at risk. If she must travel home, she should really wear a mask.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM

No one in our family has had it, but Iknow many who have.

SahmTam
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Yes, you definitely can get it from sharing cups. I got it in college. It was really bad for about a month. I had a wicked sore throat, mouth sores in my mouth, and an enlarged spleen. And exhausted can't begin to describe the level of tired. LOTS of rest, fluids, and staying away from others as much as possible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN