Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I honestly can NOT understand

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 23 Replies

Why more parents are NOT monitoring their kids internet use. Monday we had yet another girl (17) leave the library and walk away with a stranger she met online. She was not found until Thurs in the next state.

With all the press/information  on this subject Why  is it still happening this often? Seriously we all have heard for years how dangerous it can be yet it still happens way too often.Watch your children, sit right with them while they are on the internet, Don't give them access to it when you cant be around.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Is she okay?
Hopefully mothers who don't monitor Internet use will read this and change.
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting diaperstodating:

Is she okay?
Hopefully mothers who don't monitor Internet use will read this and change.

Very hush hush about her return. I am assuming she is and certainly hope so. I really bother me that her parents are on TV crying begging to hear from her or asking whoever took her to release her. Yet it could have been avoided.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM
5 moms liked this

It takes more than sitting with them while they're on the computer.  Any child that naive hasn't been taught safety from an early age.

At 17, she's less than a year away from doing anything she wants, anytime she wants.  You need to start earlier to prepare the child (adult) to LIVE in the world as it is - sometimes imperfect, sometimes dangerous.  And that includes using the internet

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

It takes more than sitting with them while they're on the computer.  Any child that naive hasn't been taught safety from an early age.

At 17, she's less than a year away from doing anything she wants, anytime she wants.  You need to start earlier to prepare the child (adult) to LIVE in the world as it is - sometimes imperfect, sometimes dangerous.  And that includes using the internet

I totally agree.

mjande4
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I agree with this 100%!

Quoting Not_A_Native:

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It happens because teens are stupid too. Lookng for love in all the wrong places too.
I agree at 17, soon she can do as she pleases. Some won't listen no matter what.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Well hold on, you've said it yourself. She left the library to meet someone. So this isn't just about the Internet. It's about the mother not checking in and making sure the child was where she was supposed to be, doing what she was supposed to be. I did surprise random checks on my daughter while at the library too. ESPECIALLY when she was grounded from my Internet, I knew I could find her on the libraries computer. I think that more libraries need stricter Internet policies. No computer access for under 13's (unless a parent is sitting right there with him/her); Internet access for kids over 13 only with parental permission, and restrict them. No social media, block it all, and TELL them exactly what they are allowed to do on their public computers, and ask them to leave if they break the rules (with a call to mom/dad if they aren't already at the library).
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

The girl was 17, in less than a year, that would have been legal. Sorry. but by that time you had better have instilled values in your kid.  And, even if you did, some kids just just have to be difficult.  It was not like it was a 7 year old.  At 17, the kid can drive.  If you are sitting side by side with your high school senior, at all times, you are in real trouble.  Now, I am not saying older teens don't need supervision, montoring and the like.  But, if you feel safe to hand a kid keys to the car, where they can kill people with in a moment, then you better feel that they can make good decisions in other areas of their lives!!!

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM
2 moms liked this

This isn't about the internet. I mean sure she met this person online, but she could have easily met this guy down at the local gas station while buying a soda, decided she liked him, cause you know teens use common sense all the time, and decided later to leave with him.

No matter how on top of things parents are, teens are sneaky, if they want something bad enough they will do it. They will find a way.

I do not monitor everything my kids do. We talk about safety online and in real life. They know what is out in the world, and they have been taught how to avoid the traps. Nothing in life is a guarantee, we can only hope that some of what we said sinks in. 

Don't take that to mean I'm not aware. I am very aware of what they are doing, but I am not going to sit over their shoulder every minute of the day.

tyfry7496
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Agreed

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN