Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

freshman parents weekend

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 17 Replies

We booked a trip to the college for Freshman Parents' Weekend.  The weekend isnt the most convenient for us, but we are going.  Im surprised there isnt really anything planed.  There is a flier with things to do in the area, but they are just things to do in the area not planned out events.  There is a game.... so I guess we will go to that.  Im not terribly disappointed since we will get to see our little girl, and meet her friends and their parents... but I am surprised that there wasnt something planned.

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bribren
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

My DD freshman family weekend is the weekend of Oct 17th. They have planned it down to the hour. So many things to do but for me it's a little too much. I want to hang out with my DD not be micro managed.

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM
We didn't go. Too far. DD said it is not biggie at all. We see her on fall break which is 2 weeks difference from Parents weekend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM

This was us. I didn't really see the point.

Quoting atlmom2:

We didn't go. Too far. DD said it is not biggie at all. We see her on fall break which is 2 weeks difference from Parents weekend.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you have a fun time with your daughter.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM

It surprises me that events aren't planned, too.     Have Fun!

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I find it surprising as well that no events are planned.  Enjoy your time with your daughter!

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM

We have gone.Our oldest was 1 1/2 hours away.There is a Fall one centered around the game ,his dorm had a bbq with a silent auction...lol ...Laundromat fluff and fold type stuff ,casual restaurants.The spring one has many things ...maroon-white games and more things.

Our daughter's sorority also participated at hers.They had an open house and dinner.She played golf for the school and they had a parent scramble for any parents at the school.It was in the fall.It is a connecting flight away or pay about double  for a non stop.Her brothers went with us so we picked the cheaper route.It is 17 hr drive, too far for a weekend.I also liked going because late fall in the upper Midwest is so different than the Texas Gulf coast.....a taste of REAL fall ; )

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I am surprised as well.  Dd school had parent's weekend (for all students, not just freshmen) and there was 3 days of stuff to register.  There were shows, a river cruise, football game, picnics, and more.  Dd is a sophomore.  Dh went, I stayed with our 15 yo because he had a football game and marching band compition that weekend.  Last year we all were able to go for a little while.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I will have to play around a bit more on the school web site.  But I only saw the game and a list of things that to do in the town.

I would like something planned, we could pick and choose.... but something.

Quoting bribren:

My DD freshman family weekend is the weekend of Oct 17th. They have planned it down to the hour. So many things to do but for me it's a little too much. I want to hang out with my DD not be micro managed.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM

too far?  I thought your daughter was a state over.

Quoting atlmom2:

our dd's fall break is a friday off.... kind of silly I think.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)