Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Playing time (sports related)

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM
  • 20 Replies

If your teen plays sports please give me some insight!

17yo DS is on the varsity soccer team. New coach this year. New coaches rules are that every player (20 on varsity alone) gets playing time every game. So this means even if my DS were to be a starter he only gets to play for 10 minutes & then has to be subbed out. He plays maybe a total of 30 minutes (not consecutive).

Every game he comes home pissed off. He says that it's like once he gets into the groove of the game he gets called out. And then it takes a few minutes for the new players to get into the groove & then they are called out. I honestly don't think the team has won any games yet this season (they have 4 more home games before tournaments- IF they make it that far!). I know they have tied a few though.

It's just very frustrating to see you son, who has lived his whole life (since he was 4) for soccer to get to the final stretch (possibly a soccer scholarship to college?) & not be able to play for more than 10 minutes at a time his senior year.

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zoo003
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, at that level, it would be very frustrating (I say this as a parent of a high school girl soccer player).  Play time should not be equal at this level, but instead based upon skill level and placing the best team upon the field to create a win (and switching when not working/needing a break, but not for "equal playing time").  If a player wants equal playing time, then he/she should play on a rec team (nothing wrong with rec soccer, just not as competitive based as competitive soccer).  Good luck to your son! 

bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Never have I heard of it at that level. That is odd. You usually only see that with younger kids or at a recreational level of play. Maybe at a very small private school that is in such a small league no chance of college scouts? I just don't understand that esp if they are losing it's weird
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:29 AM

And to think the thing I was most concerned about was the coaches son is on the team. IDK- in my opinion when you get to sports at this level having a parent of a player coach (a player that has been on the team since he was a freshman) is not ideal. One would fear favortism. But clearly, if they all get equal playing time, that isn't going to be an issue.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Never have I heard of it at that level. That is odd. You usually only see that with younger kids or at a recreational level of play. Maybe at a very small private school that is in such a small league no chance of college scouts? I just don't understand that esp if they are losing it's weird

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Well, it depends on when he puts in the bench warmers.  Nothing pisses me off more than a coach with tons of benchwarmers, but he never puts them in but runs up the score.  Listening to the coach is part of the team thing, the coach would be better off with  a few stars being pissed, than the 20 benchwarmers being mad at him and everyone.  It destroys morale.

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I play tennis

Quoting CampClan:

If your teen plays sports please give me some insight!

17yo DS is on the varsity soccer team. New coach this year. New coaches rules are that every player (20 on varsity alone) gets playing time every game. So this means even if my DS were to be a starter he only gets to play for 10 minutes & then has to be subbed out. He plays maybe a total of 30 minutes (not consecutive).

Every game he comes home pissed off. He says that it's like once he gets into the groove of the game he gets called out. And then it takes a few minutes for the new players to get into the groove & then they are called out. I honestly don't think the team has won any games yet this season (they have 4 more home games before tournaments- IF they make it that far!). I know they have tied a few though.

It's just very frustrating to see you son, who has lived his whole life (since he was 4) for soccer to get to the final stretch (possibly a soccer scholarship to college?) & not be able to play for more than 10 minutes at a time his senior year.

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Hi :)
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

And, thinking from a coach side of it,  if your stars get injured, have to re-take the ACT or some other thing, what good is a string of kids without game time experience?   Nope, the coach is correct, everyone needs some field time.   I also get mad at the "I'm the star" mentality on a team.  Everyone knows who the best players are, but it is the best teammates that try and pick up the whole team no matter if they are in the locker room, on the side lines or on the field. 

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

In my area no varsity player is guaranteed any playing time.  If a team fields only 11 players, they would not have 20 on the team.  I think there would only be 16, tops.  

CampClan
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Agreed. However- in the past there have only been about 15 players on varsity. Not 20. No need for "bench warmers" because there have typically been players out for whatever reason (new to district, injury, whatever).

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

Well, it depends on when he puts in the bench warmers.  Nothing pisses me off more than a coach with tons of benchwarmers, but he never puts them in but runs up the score.  Listening to the coach is part of the team thing, the coach would be better off with  a few stars being pissed, than the 20 benchwarmers being mad at him and everyone.  It destroys morale.

MrsG423
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM

if you pay to play - I expect my kid to play every game. Now if you had to try-out for the team, I see it differently. They're after a trophy, a winnning season.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN