Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

As a parent, what would you do?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 21 Replies

Im not sure how many of you have heard about this story, but over Labor Day weekend, 200-400 teens broke into the upstate home of a former NFL player and had a rave style party. The owner of the home was at his Florida home when he was alerted by his college aged son that a party was in progess at their home. His son discovered the party on twitter. The teens were posting updates and pictures on twitter and facebook about the party.

It is estimated that the teens did $20,000 in damage not including items that they stole from the home.

He created a website identifying the teens who were in attendance by posting screenshots of their status updates and pictures. On the website he extended an offer to the kids and parents to help make restitution by coming to his home and helping with the clean up. Only 1 parent showed up. 

NOW several of the parents are suing HIM. Their kids broke into his home. Had an illegal party that included alcohol and drugs, damaged his home and  stole his property and the parents of these teens want to sue him for posting something that they had already posted to social media.

Now put yourself in those parents shoes, how would you react?

Would you sue him or would you and your kid have taken him up on his offer and helped to clean up the damage?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessicaR7
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

People are so twisted.  I wouldn't sue him; he was the one who had his home and property violated.  I would have made my kid show up to help clean but I'd also make an arrangements with the homeowner for the kids to work off some of the $20K.  I know they aren't going to be able to put a dent in that but some of their hard earned money should go towards helping this man because it's the right thing to do.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

My child would be grounded for life and we definitely would've helped clean up. It might have been inappropriate for him to re-post their status updates because they are minors, but it pales in comparison to what those kids did. It wouldn't have occurred to me to sue him--I'd just be praying that we could make enough restitution so that HE wouldn't press charges. I don't understand how people get to a point where they feel so entitled that they think laws don't apply to them or their offspring...it's like their moral code is just non-existent. And aren't those parents concerned about what's going to happen to their kids if he retaliates to their lawsuit by pressing charges against them? 

Reina13
by Reina on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Exactly. There is an investigation underway and he may possibly press charges against them all. 

Quoting Niccalyn:

My child would be grounded for life and we definitely would've helped clean up. It might have been inappropriate for him to re-post their status updates because they are minors, but it pales in comparison to what those kids did. It wouldn't have occurred to me to sue him--I'd just be praying that we could make enough restitution so that HE wouldn't press charges. I don't understand how people get to a point where they feel so entitled that they think laws don't apply to them or their offspring...it's like their moral code is just non-existent. And aren't those parents concerned about what's going to happen to their kids if he retaliates to their lawsuit by pressing charges against them? 

2teens2LOs
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd be dragging my kid down to CLEAN IT UP!  you don't disrespect PEOPLE! and even if only one showed up, that ONE would be doing some hellatious cleaning, because when you run w/ the wrong crowd you have to pay for that -

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM

What kind of loser teens think this is a great idea?  I just don't get it.  How badly are we failing this generation? 

Parents are suing the VICTIM of the property damage?  Yeah...that makes sense. 

If my kid were ever stupid enough to do this, you can bet he'd be at the guy's house, apologizing to him, telling him that he would accept whatever legal consequences the homeowner thought fair, and would definitely offer to help clean up and do whatever else he could do.

I truly hope mine are smarter than this, though.  But you never know. 

cheetah90210
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Smh he's the victim yet you want money
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM

My kids butts would be at his home working their butts off and heck no I would not sue. This is why kids do what they do because parents are not parents but enablers. Your child commits a crime and now you want to try to get some money, lol.

I just saw him speaking about this like 15mins ago and  I am glad that because they were so stupid and want to be on twitter and everything posting and tweeting themselves having a good time in someone elses home that they had no business being in that he now  has the names of like 200 kids I think he said.

If anything he should be suing the parents.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM

My kid, my hubby and I would all be there to clean up.  We would show up to show him how sad and sorry we are that our kid was involved in such a horrible act.  I would also want to show my kid that it is a big deal and we are all in this together now, due to his bad decisions.

happymia
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM
What???? Their kid broke into a house, stole property, trashed the house, went on to brag about it, and the parents first reaction is to sue the victim? Oh my gosh, that's the craziest thing I've heard
newstepmom61811
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM
That's why the kids ended up like that to begin with..,started with the parents...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)