Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Cell phone use in school.

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM
  • 27 Replies

My daughters school has always been very relaxed with rules about cell phone use in school.  In my opinion a lil to relaxed.  She's a sophmore and has been texting me from school since she started there.  She messages me from spanish class a few minutes ago to tell me that the school is starting to get strict with cell phone use.  So i decide not to respond thiniking she shouldnt be using the phone and she's going to get in trouble.  So 10 minutes goes by and she messages me again to tell me that they just spent 10  minutes going over the new rule.  Which is No cell phone use in the halls unless its your opta.  Opta's are free periods that you can do what you want with including walking the halls.  The school doesnt have lunch periods but most students get 2 opta's a day 4 days a week.  She would of had 2 optas but she chose to take extra classes instead.  So she msg'd me to complain that she can't use her cell phone in the hallway.  But they have no problem what so ever about using the phones in class.   lmao

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Our hs doesn't allow phones out. They take them. First offense, pick up after school. 2nd time parent has to pick it up. 3rd time they keep it.
You can us it between classes, at lunch and before and after school only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Every other school that i know of has the same policy as yours about not using phones.  The middie school had the policy if they saw it at all then it was taken.  They werent suppose to have them with them at all but the principal always said if its turned off and in their bookbag then it was no big deal.  She was complaining that she can't use it in the hallway.  lol 

Quoting atlmom2:

Our hs doesn't allow phones out. They take them. First offense, pick up after school. 2nd time parent has to pick it up. 3rd time they keep it.
You can us it between classes, at lunch and before and after school only.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Our schools have a no phone as rule too.  The kid will lose the phone if used in class and a parent has to pick it up.  If my kid was texting during class, I would cut the service off.  Class time is not the appropriate time for texting.

sabrtooth1
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I would not care what the rule is, my kid would not have a phone in school. How can she be paying attention to the teacher when she is texting you?
bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I think most schools have a no cell use in class rule or at least in principal. I for one have not seen it enforced in any of the highschools in the city where my kids went to school. I say this because DD who was prime culprite for texting in school never had her phone taken away and she texted continually.  \to the point one day she was texting a friend who went to school on the other side of the city and he said to say to the teacherfor him. The teacher was the mom of a mutual friend .So DD says Mrs.L <D says hi.This was during class. Mrs.L says put your phone away and tell D to put his away as well. Thats it all done.

PurpleHazey
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM

cells should not be in schools

CampClan
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM

In our district the students are actually allowed to use their phones during class if it's class related- as in using the web for school. Except French 3. Apparently DS's French 3 teacher is a real B & she won't allow cell phones. Infact- the syllabus she sent home said parents shouldn't be texting their child while in her class (as if I know exactly when he is in French class). 

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

No use of cell phones during class.That includes texting or noises at all.It will be locked up by the students dean and cost 15 and an email exchange with a  parent to have it returned .The money goes in a student activity fund.The school is very serious , a couple of mine have had their phone taken up....they paid out of their allowance...only happened once.

nicole.mazer
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM
The school that my girls go to (they are 15 and 13) is very strict about phones. My girls bring their phones to school to contact me at the end of the day in case of a change in plan of pick up or carpool or something but during the school day, the phone must remain in their locker switched off. There are big consequences if the rule is broken!!!
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Ours allows them to be used on breaks and in the hall ways. Most teachers don't care even during down time in class. They do expect them to be put away when they are teaching though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)