Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Black Students Forced to 'Play' Slave in Horrifying School Field Trip

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM
  • 6 Replies

Black Students Forced to 'Play' Slave in Horrifying School Field Trip

by Jeanne Sager

school busIf your kids' school sent home a permission slip asking for them to take part in a slavery re-enactment on a field trip, what would you do? Freak? Now what if the school sent your kid off to "play" slaves, complete with "masters" chasing you through the woods, screaming the "n-word" ... and didn't warn you?

Parents of seventh graders at a Connecticut school are hopping mad right now because they say that's exactly what happened to their kids. They sent their kids off on a four-day trip to the Nature's Classroom in Charlton, Massachusetts, with their school, and the kids came home shell-shocked.

According to mom Sandra Baker, her daughter -- who is black -- was forced to play a slave in a re-enactment that included being told:

Bring those (n-word) to the house over there. (N-word) if you can read, there's a problem. Dumb, dark-skinned (n-word). How dare you look at me?

No child should be put through that -- history lesson or no history lesson. Could you imagine signing your kid up for that?

The Bakers said they didn't. They OK'd a field trip, not an evening of racist cruelty.

I tend to believe them. What parent in their right mind would OK something like that?

I'm upset on their behalf, on their daughter's behalf, and more than a little uneasy on the behalf of parents' everywhere. If this is the kind of thing a school doesn't think they have to run past parents, what else could we be signing our kids up for when we send them on a field trip?

I'll cop to having just signed on the dotted line when the permission slip comes home. I've figured it's a trip for kids, the school must know that it's appropriate, right? Right?

Clearly not always. This should never have happened to the kids from the Hartford Magnet Trinity College Academy, nor should it happen to any kid, anywhere.

Does your kids' school spell out what will happen on a field trip?

How would you react to this 'field trip'?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
02nana07
by Ida on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I am not black but would be offended that this was done to or witnessed by any child

atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Wasn't this a post a long time ago?? Isn't acting, acting?? Being a rapist doesn't mean you are one, or a serial killer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I am not sure is this was a post a long time ago or not, but it is a Stir post that was published today on The Stir site.

Quoting atlmom2:

Wasn't this a post a long time ago?? Isn't acting, acting?? Being a rapist doesn't mean you are one, or a serial killer.

PurpleHazey
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Are you kidding me, this is not good!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM
This sounds over exaggerated. If true I agree it's horrible but honestly cannot imagine a school doing this with 7th graders?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natjor01
by New Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM
It doesn't matter when it was posted it shouldn't have happen period. A lot of people are in the wrong for this. If the tables we're turn then they would be highly upset and looking for more than a response from a post. But bizzeemom2717 the most horrific thing that seem untrue but in today's world really do exist. The people that carried this out should be repremended in so type of way; and not lightly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)