Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

16 year old daughter's relationships

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

I don't mind my daughter dating, but I'm a little worried about her maturity in relationships. What i mean by that is that she's extremely private about who she dates with me, and none of her relationships last long. she did tell me once that she isn't all that comfortable with commitment, and she always feels like in relationships she's really distand when her boyfriends had been to clingy.

Do you think it's a good idea to let her date even though she has told me about having issues with trust and commitment? I dont really get why she even goes out with guys when she feels like that, but she does.. Or do you have any advice on how i could get her to open up more?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM
My oldest never stayed with a guy more than 2 to 4 weeks until senior year. Not a bad thing I say. She figured out she didn't like them and moved on. Now if your dd is going into knowing after a few dates she is going to dump them, then there may be issues and not fair to the guys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Ask her. Is she breaking up with them BECAUSE they've done something she doesn't like? Or is she dating them out of boredom? Depending on her answer there would be different advice. I know a LOT of girls that did this when they were first allowed to date.
bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM
I agree sit down and talk with her. Express your concern in a caring way

Quoting GleekingOut:

Ask her. Is she breaking up with them BECAUSE they've done something she doesn't like? Or is she dating them out of boredom? Depending on her answer there would be different advice. I know a LOT of girls that did this when they were first allowed to date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:34 AM

she just might be to young yet and at 16 I would insisit I know who what and where she is with

Dawn96
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I think she is showing maturity, at 16 the dating should be light-hearted and fun. When guys get clingy it put pressure on her to make more committment than she is comfortable making at this stage in her life, so she lets them move on to someone who is willing to be in that type of relationship. talk to her about her dreams for a future and what she wants out of relationships to help her feel more comfortable about where she is right now.

02nana07
by Ida on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM

sounds like she has some issues that need worked out before she starts dating

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM

My 22-year-old niece told my 16-year-old daughter, 'High School is when you are trying to figure out what you're looking for in a potential partner--it's not a time to get serious with one guy.' I think your daughter is very smart and has figured this out for herself.  At this point, she knows she doesn't want a clingy guy!  My daughter had one relationship that lasted a little over 6 months (he broke her heart), but all the others have been anywhere from 1 week to 3 months max, and she always breaks up with them for one reason or another (too clingy, not attentive enough, or the chemistry just isn't there). They're just figuring it all out...I think it's completly normal.  Also, my 14-year-old is much more private than her older sister, but I've learned that if I just sit down on her bed at bedtime and ask her a few questions, eventually she will start to spill.  Good luck!

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM
She is 16. I would not let her go out with anyone I didn't meet first and got to know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheetah90210
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Shes 16 maybe shes attracted to guys but relationships arent that important to her
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Quoting Dawn96:

I think she is showing maturity, at 16 the dating should be light-hearted and fun. When guys get clingy it put pressure on her to make more committment than she is comfortable making at this stage in her life, so she lets them move on to someone who is willing to be in that type of relationship. talk to her about her dreams for a future and what she wants out of relationships to help her feel more comfortable about where she is right now.

I agree with this especially the dating at this age should be lighthearted and fun. I think it is fine that she is dating and not getting serious about one guy. I would keep the lines of communication open and ask her why or what makes her feel like she has trust/commitment issues. I would also have to meet who ever she goes out with before going on a date.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN