Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

friend or foe

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM
  • 16 Replies
My 16 year old son is friends with his 17 year old cousin. To night I was at the store and remembered I had redbox movies to return. I called my son who was hanging out with cousin and ask if his cousin would drive him 6 blocks to return the movies and his cousin wouldn't do it inless he paid him for gas. This isn't the first time this guy has made my son paid him for a favor. Is this friend or foe any advice please..
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:30 AM

It isn't uncommon.   Gas prices are high, and the teens who have cars are often asked to drive their friends here and there.     Some have 'blanket policies' for all their friends....  If I drive...you ante up for gas.   Most of my sons friends don't drive or don't have a car... he charges for gas or barters.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:08 AM

if My DD has a friend drive to her, or use public transport out to her, she repays them by shouting them lunch - and they do it vice versa.

bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Do you have other examples of how his cousin is rude or mean?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Does he pay for his own gas?

hherriman
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM
At Christmas my brother gave my son money for an app and gave hime a t shirt. The cousin told my son he owe him the money back because he also got a shirt. My son not understanding gave him the money. Yesterday we saw him with a whole car full of people. So he either has the money from them.or is driving them for free. I just dont understand this because the favor to return the movies were for me not my son. So why charge my son?

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Do you have other examples of how his cousin is rude or mean?

wakymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I can see asking friends to contribute gas $ if they ask for a ride, but if an adult family member is asking, esp. if you don't ask often, I'd find that a bit rude.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Tacky!

But what are his parents like with money? Perhaps it is a learned trait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I suppose if he was really broke and had to provide all his own gas and could barely manage I would understand or if he was the to go to guy .But if he can drive friends for fun not money ,he can help a family member out.

Why did he get money due to Christmas presents?I don't understand.

hherriman
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM
No his dad pays for his gas. He has never had a job.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Does he pay for his own gas?

hherriman
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Thats just it his dad is the type that will stop what he is doing to help anyone and not take anything in return.

Quoting sahlady:

Tacky!

But what are his parents like with money? Perhaps it is a learned trait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN