Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Should He Pay For Gas $?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM
  • 19 Replies
My 15 yr old son. Has a job, school clubs that he's in. I am very much the taxi mom.

I am on a very tight budget. With all the driving that I do the $ I put aside for gas isnt enough to last me paycheck to paycheck.

Should I have him help pay for gas?
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep. My rule is if I'm going anywhere other than NECESSARY places (school, doctors) then you owe me $30 for the week for gas. He can either pay you, not go anywhere, or use public transport which is ALWAYS more expensive.

tntmomof2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM
If you're tight on cash and you absolutely need it than I don't see a problem with discussing the situation with him and asking him to help out.
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I would not, but since you are on a tight budget I guess I might ask for maybe $10 a week if it was a busy week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamminmomma
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I am the same way I feel like a taxi, and I put aside just enough gas money to last me from paycheck to paycheck and I have two teenagers that I have to drive everywhere and I am constantly running out of gas, my daughter has a babysitting job that she does not make that much money at though $5 a day 3-4 days a week and I do not want her money paying for my gas, my son on the other hand refuses to even try to get a job but he wants to go to all these outings with the various activities he is is. I made him put in applications this summer but he never got a job at any of the places that he and now I am still running here and there taking him and picking him up.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this.

Quoting tntmomof2:

If you're tight on cash and you absolutely need it than I don't see a problem with discussing the situation with him and asking him to help out.
02nana07
by Ida on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If you have to maybe charge for taking him to work other than that no

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Quoting tntmomof2:

I agree.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I normally wouldn't either, but I understand the situation OP is in. I'd probably talk to my son about the situation to hopefully come up with a solution. Those after school activities are important for kids, but maybe he could find a way to carpool or contribute their n other ways if he knew how it is affecting the mom's limited budget.

Quoting atlmom2:

I would not, but since you are on a tight budget I guess I might ask for maybe $10 a week if it was a busy week.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Yes I agree

Quoting Barabell:

I agree with this.

Quoting tntmomof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KW1280
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I use to give my mom 3 $, my have times changed, and she appreciated it. It also made me feel great to pay my way. It isn't going to kill him to give you 10$ a week or 20$ every 2 weeks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)