Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Should He Pay For Gas $?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM
  • 19 Replies
My 15 yr old son. Has a job, school clubs that he's in. I am very much the taxi mom.

I am on a very tight budget. With all the driving that I do the $ I put aside for gas isnt enough to last me paycheck to paycheck.

Should I have him help pay for gas?
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep. My rule is if I'm going anywhere other than NECESSARY places (school, doctors) then you owe me $30 for the week for gas. He can either pay you, not go anywhere, or use public transport which is ALWAYS more expensive.

tntmomof2
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM
If you're tight on cash and you absolutely need it than I don't see a problem with discussing the situation with him and asking him to help out.
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I would not, but since you are on a tight budget I guess I might ask for maybe $10 a week if it was a busy week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamminmomma
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I am the same way I feel like a taxi, and I put aside just enough gas money to last me from paycheck to paycheck and I have two teenagers that I have to drive everywhere and I am constantly running out of gas, my daughter has a babysitting job that she does not make that much money at though $5 a day 3-4 days a week and I do not want her money paying for my gas, my son on the other hand refuses to even try to get a job but he wants to go to all these outings with the various activities he is is. I made him put in applications this summer but he never got a job at any of the places that he and now I am still running here and there taking him and picking him up.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this.

Quoting tntmomof2:

If you're tight on cash and you absolutely need it than I don't see a problem with discussing the situation with him and asking him to help out.
02nana07
by Ida on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If you have to maybe charge for taking him to work other than that no

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Quoting tntmomof2:

I agree.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I normally wouldn't either, but I understand the situation OP is in. I'd probably talk to my son about the situation to hopefully come up with a solution. Those after school activities are important for kids, but maybe he could find a way to carpool or contribute their n other ways if he knew how it is affecting the mom's limited budget.

Quoting atlmom2:

I would not, but since you are on a tight budget I guess I might ask for maybe $10 a week if it was a busy week.
bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Yes I agree

Quoting Barabell:

I agree with this.

Quoting tntmomof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KW1280
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I use to give my mom 3 $, my have times changed, and she appreciated it. It also made me feel great to pay my way. It isn't going to kill him to give you 10$ a week or 20$ every 2 weeks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN