Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she a delinquent?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 13 Replies

How would you consequence your 15 yo if she and another girl have a video of them going on someone's property and going into a home not lived in?  It doesn't actually show them, just their voices. There is even a no trespassing sign. I just found the video.When I asked her this morning she told me the story and it happened in June.  My daughter was the one filming it and the other girl didn't want to go in the abandoned house.  I am not sure if they went in BEFORE the video was taken or not. Since the girl didn't want to go in I'm not sure if I should contact the parents or not? I was thinking of contacting the police to make a point to the girls how wrong it was but then they would maybe contact the owners of the abandoned house since there is a no trespassing sign. Would u? I took her down to the house and showed her the no tresspassing sign this morning and really layed into her about what she had down and that it was illegal and the owners could be called and her Dad and I could call the police.

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I guess it depends.  I mean is it long abandoned?  Did she or her friends have to break a window or a door or was that done long ago and they just walked in? When I was younger, I used to peek in old empty homes and barns, just to get a glimpse of what it must have been like.  I would not destroy anything, just kind of peek around. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I would lecture her on the laws regarding private property and her own Safety.   She doesn't know what or who may be stashed in a vacant house....

I think it is teen curiosity.   Heck, If I see a vacant house for sale, I will sometimes peek in the windows.    And old abandoned barns and farmhouses are so intriguing.....I admit to curiosity..... and maybe having a short peek.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I wouldn't contact the other girl's parents or the police if I were you.  It was months ago, as far as you know it hasn't happened again, and at this point she knows how strongly you feel about it.  If you take it further, she will not feel she can ever come to you in the future if she makes another stupid decision.  Maybe impose more rules about her comings and goings, and get a tracker on her phone.  My husband did that recently through our cellular provider, my kids call him 'creepy' but it is nice to know that we can see where they are at all times--I think it will make them think twice before going somewhere other than where they've told us they will be. 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
The police? Umm no. The other girl's parents and this happened in June? No. It's normal for teens to do stupid things out of curiosity, as long as they didn't break anything. You talked to her about the dangers ect. If they did it again I would talk to the girls parents. The police have much better things to do with their time, this is a job for you to handle and sounds like you did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by Angie on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM

That is breaking and entering B&E jail time for sure.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM

This.  I will admit to one time going with a couple of friends to an abandoned farm house back when I was in high school.  I was far from a deliquent but it was stupid and dangerous.  If it was my daughter and her friend I would talk with them together about the reason this isn't not a smart choice and how dangerous it could be.  I would also tell them if it happened again the consequences would be severe, such as no being allowed to hang out together anymore and contacting the other girls parents and being on "lock down" for a very long time. 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

The police? Umm no. The other girl's parents and this happened in June? No. It's normal for teens to do stupid things out of curiosity, as long as they didn't break anything. You talked to her about the dangers ect. If they did it again I would talk to the girls parents. The police have much better things to do with their time, this is a job for you to handle and sounds like you did.

dutchcanadain
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM
you did talk to her ,now see why they say no enter or trespassing ,a old house has problems ,floor boards that can cave in ceilings that fall ,she and her friend could been hurt yes it is old house ,the beauty of this house is on the out side ,not going in is respect to owner and the house,next she says mom overacting maybe i am but anything could happen that day
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I agree with this too.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

1kidmomajm
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I wouldnt do anything but tell her not to do such a thing anymore. It could just be dangerous. But honestly, that is typical teen behavior. When I was a kid we used to sneak into this empty house, sit in a circle and pass a bong around. We never caused any damage, just smoked, laughed and made up scary stories. There are far worse things to call the cops on your daughter for. 

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, thought we were on the right track with not wanting to call the girl's parents & not calling the cops as it would open a whole other can of worms getting the farm/land owner involved.  There were 2 signs posted & I have spoke to my dd about this no trespassing before when we had driven past.  It's a tiny yukky shack & we just talked with her about the dangers to herself & some snarly who knows who could have pulled them in, the floor roof could have colapsed, we covered it all.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)