Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Discipling a teen

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 9 Replies
First off sorry for any mistakes. I am on my phone & am in a hurry.

My son is 15. I find myself arguing more & more with him. Grounding use to work. Now he is flippant & doesn't change his behavior.

Suggestions please.
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I have a 15 year old dd. it depends on the situation? Taking away privileges like cell phone and time with friends seems to work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little.momma.D
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I took away his door & his cell. He continued misbehaving.
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

With limited details (like how he is misbehaving and do you know whether something might have changed that triggered the bad behavior), it's hard to give advice.

Offhand, I'd say try looking into parenting teen books on Amazon or at your local library or book store. I've heard that Parting Teens With Love and Logic has been helpful to some parents.

mina79
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
2 moms liked this

My son is 13 but I find the things he HATES to do. And that is his punishment.  One time he wanted to keep talking under his breath and always wanting the last word on everything. So every time he did that, I would choose a punishment. 1st time it was clean out the fridge, next was clean the pantry, then it  went to clean all the ceiling fans and organize the junk drawers that was in 1 day. & finally he stopped having things to say (guess he was tired of cleaning.) Did this fix it forever? Heavens No. But it did what I need at the moment. Another is him & his sister were fighting. So they had to hold hands for 1hr & if they let go then the time started over. Or when we are shopping(which they hate going) if they start whining then we stay & shop for ten more minutes. So I don't hear another word from them. lol...Some people may say its sill or not harsh enough. But I go with what works.

little.momma.D
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I like that. I think part of the problem is Ive been grounding him on & off for a long time.

Quoting mina79:

My son is 13 but I find the things he HATES to do. And that is his punishment.  One time he wanted to keep talking under his breath and always wanting the last word on everything. So every time he did that, I would choose a punishment. 1st time it was clean out the fridge, next was clean the pantry, then it  went to clean all the ceiling fans and organize the junk drawers that was in 1 day. & finally he stopped having things to say (guess he was tired of cleaning.) Did this fix it forever? Heavens No. But it did what I need at the moment. Another is him & his sister were fighting. So they had to hold hands for 1hr & if they let go then the time started over. Or when we are shopping(which they hate going) if they start whining then we stay & shop for ten more minutes. So I don't hear another word from them. lol...Some people may say its sill or not harsh enough. But I go with what works.

suesues
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM

take more stuff away he is young fix it now

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I am big on more chores.  My 15 year old would rather have his phone and computer taken away, if he could still sit and read.  But, when electronics, friends and free time is taken away, then it sinks in. 

Thorlin
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I am big on chores too. I pick whatever will help me out. Yep you can mutter the whole time but til it gets done nothing else happens. I also DON"T engage in the muttering when the chore is being done. If you want me to discuss it you will have to say it in an appropriate hearable tone.

Also my daughter lives for her alone time so sometimes I will make her give that up and do a time in with the family where she is required to stay and do things with us. We can have fun but it is a punishment to her because she cant  tune us out or alienate us.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

When Mr Flippant opens his mouth(talking disrespectfully) send him to his room. let himn know when he can speak respectfully and apologize he may come back out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)