Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Acceptable curfew for 15 year old girl?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 32 Replies

This year since my daughter has started high school (which is Grade 10 where we live) we have been having quite a few issues.

The most recent was that she wanted a curfew.  Fine - so Dad and I sat down and made a curfew...so where did that get us?  Her acting like a 3 year old pulling a temper tantrum saying that she's almost 16 (a line she has been using a lot lately) and we should stop treating her like a 12 year old and then she started crying and stormed off and slammed her door.  

I tried telling her that you can't expect to get treated like an adult if you still act like a child - a clear demonstration of which we saw tonight.

So, my question to you ladies is:

WHAT TIME DO YOU THINK IS AN ACCEPTABLE CURFEW FOR A 15 YEAR OLD GIRL - SCHOOL NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS?

I thank you in advance for your opinions.

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
secondboy2012
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM
9 on school nights, 11 on weekends.

Provided she is typically responsible.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM
3 moms liked this
We don't have a "set curfew" for my DD age 15 almost 16 and a soph as well. It totally depends on the situation and as a parent I refuse to do the black and white thing with certain rules, curfew is one...honesty, no drugs or alcohol, I save those for the no negotiation black/white parenting rules. So I can't really say? Was the same with my older 2, depended on where she was going, who she was with and the whole situation in general.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM

We don't have weeknight curfews.During the school week other than extracurricular activities...sports ,debate ,theater they are home at night.There can be specific exceptions but they are discussed on individual basis.

Weekends at age 15 it is also based individually ,they go to the movies or to a known party and mine and most of their friends are to be at home by 11.The only exceptions are when there is a parent driving kind of a carpool home from a party.They tend to be picked up by 11 and then it just depends on where we are in the drop off order.When we drive by 11:10 the cell phones are buzzing with parents making sure they are in the car on the way home.

At 16 till second semester senior year the weekend curfew is midnight with very few exceptions....always discussed in advance.Second semester it can be 1 if discussed.Later for certain events.

NobleStepMom
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM

We were playing it by ear but SHE asked for the curfew...so we made a decision and she didn't like it so she pulled a temper tantrum like a 3 year old.  

Unfortunately, we have had problems in the past with her not getting her school work done and wanting to go out and lying to us about it.  Once we figured that out a few years ago, we tightened the ropes.  Homework still remains to be an issue and there are always assignments missed and not handed in and teachers caling us.

I wish kids in this generation would stop feeling that they're so damn entitled!  I hate to see what life is like for them when they do get out on their own and realize that life isn't all about kissing babies and rainbows!

suesues
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM

we did have a curfew on weeknight u were always home unless a school event and midnight on weekends

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not a fan of curfews.   To me, that is like saying the kid can go wherever, with whomever and do whatever, as long as they arrive home on time.       We set the curfew depending on the activity.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM
The legal curfew where we live is 10. But we took each activity on its own merit... Sometimes earlier sometimes later. But we also had the added benifit of driving laws that requires a child have thier license a year before driving other kids. So we had to pick her up anywhere she went.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
15 year olds need to have adult supervision so a curfew is moot because adults should be around.
Mine did nothing on school nights other than school functions or homework.
Weekends they can be at friends with supervision till midnight or so unless they were spending the night of course.
Teens and no supervision is a recipe for disaster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My 15 year old has to be home by 10 on school nights and 11 on weekends.

MommyO2-6631
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
School nights -8. That would give her time to shower, do homework and get everything ready for school the next day. Weekends in our state every child under the age of 18 must be home by ten unless accompanied by a parent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)