Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: My 18 yr old hates my boyfriend for no reason...

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 23 Replies

My 18 yr old hates my boyfriend for no reason at all. What should I do?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM
2 moms liked this

ask  your 18 yr old why and then listen ? did you move to fast for your child's comfort? I really need more info. Did you recently divorce ? how long before you got into this new relationship since the relationship with child's father ended ? is BF living with you ?

wakymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We really need some background info in order to give any suggestions.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Not enough information here to offer advise.
Steph197676
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I am sorry!  I have been divorced for 4 years and have been dating here and there but never have I had a live in boyfriend until now.  She moved to Kentucky for college and before she came back wanted to let her know he was there so she would not be surprised but I am the one that got surprised she basically wrote me off and said that I do not care about the safety of my children which is not true.  She said some harsh things to me then called her father, my ex husband and he basically states that I do not care about her feelings but did he care about her feelings when he had an affair and left both his daughters to move in with the girlfriend and the go getter is my oldest loves her.  She does not give him the opportunity to get to know him,  When I ask why she does not like him she says she does not have to give me a reason.  SO in a nutshell because my boyfriend is there when she comes home for Christmas break she will be going to live with my ex mother in law and does not want to hear from me.  Should I break things off and just stay single til both my children are older and gone.  I have always put my happiness aside for my children and this time I feel like I found the one but I love my children and will do anything for them

02nana07
by Ida on Sep. 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM

sounds like she might have a reason maybe he has done something to her you don't know about.

If you have other children at home you need to find out from her and them if he has ever tried anything.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Does she even KNOW who this person is? Has she met him before or is she talking out of her ass?
sabrtooth1
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM

*I* would date, but NOT move anyone in with me.  I would NEVER remarry.  There is no need.  My kids come first, and no one is going to live off my success except my family.

Grnyann65
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I can't give you any advice. Everyone I've dated, since divorcing their father, my children have not liked. I think they just never think someone is good enough for their mother.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Quoting fammatthews4:

Not enough information here to offer advise.

Exactly!

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Steph197676:

I am sorry!  I have been divorced for 4 years and have been dating here and there but never have I had a live in boyfriend until now.  She moved to Kentucky for college and before she came back wanted to let her know he was there so she would not be surprised but I am the one that got surprised she basically wrote me off and said that I do not care about the safety of my children which is not true.  She said some harsh things to me then called her father, my ex husband and he basically states that I do not care about her feelings but did he care about her feelings when he had an affair and left both his daughters to move in with the girlfriend and the go getter is my oldest loves her.  She does not give him the opportunity to get to know him,  When I ask why she does not like him she says she does not have to give me a reason.  SO in a nutshell because my boyfriend is there when she comes home for Christmas break she will be going to live with my ex mother in law and does not want to hear from me.  Should I break things off and just stay single til both my children are older and gone.  I have always put my happiness aside for my children and this time I feel like I found the one but I love my children and will do anything for them

I am having trouble piecing the story together.    Your 18 yr old DD left for college in Kentucky....When?  In the past month?  Has she already been home to visit, or is she not coming home until Christmas?    Has she ever met your boyfriend?   Does your other DD live with you?  Has she met your Boyfriend & does she like him?

It seems to me that if your DD does not feel the need to give you a reason why she does not like him, and can not tell you why she feels he is threatening her safety, she is manipulating you.    She is using this as an excuse to stay with her Grandma during Christmas break.      That would simply not fly with me.   I say let her Grandma or her Dad pay for her to visit...since she won't be seeing you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)