Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How self sufficient are your teens?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 19 Replies

My kids have always been pretty self sufficient and I am glad now that 2 of them have moved out. 

The other day my oldest wanted to make lasagna for his girlfriend so he called me  to ask for the recipe. I thought it was sweet of him, but  more than that, I was thankful that I taught them young how to be self sufficient and take care of themselves.

Are your teens pretty self sufficient when it comes to taking care of themselves like handling their finances, cooking, working, cleaning, doing their laundry etc...

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
My 22 yo can't cook. My 19 yo loves to cook and has always cooked.
Finances, 19 yo is in school and we are responsible for her. 22 yo got an IRA at 19. Has savings and doing well.
Both girls have stocks they got in my Mom's will also.
They did their own laundry starting in middle school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM

My ODD who is almost 16 could probably run the household if I wasn't here.  My YDD who is 14 hmmmm..not so much lol.  She can cook some and knows how to clean and do laundry but she is still a bit of a work in progress.  Push comes to shove though she would survive. 

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM

All 4 of mine can clean and do laundry. Only 2 of the 4 can cook and it becasue they like to cook. The other 2 could live off microwave crap and take out. Financally  they are all good and take care of what is required for them to do. They also are able to cut a lawn,take out trash, and do minor repairs when required.

bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM
All of my children are self sufficient. Esp the older 2. The youngest prob the least, but she still knows how to cook, does her own laundry ect
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM

My kids are self suffecient.  My dd is the one that other kids call if they have a flat or need a jump, and she does not even have a car.  But, I would not let her get her license until she can do those things.  Ds can cook and clean.  Dd loves to cook and bake.  They are good with money too.  I thought the most pathetic thing was when dd was starting college and they pulled the kids and parents into different areas.  They asked the parents to PLEASE be sure your kid has a copy of the insurance card and can do LAUNDRY.  Um...they made it into college and mommy still washes their skivies. 

SAMI_JO
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My son couldn't take care of himself if he had directions. I am not proud but that is the way it is.

Lorena
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM
All my kids could clean up. My 14 yr old will never be self sufficient but if needed the others would help him.
marney.p
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM

My kids can do things. They just need a push start. Unfortunately.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:01 AM

My DD does laundry - and she helps out cleaning but she still can't do it that well. Cooking - she has the skills to LEARN how to cook but not the patience.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM

We were just discussing this.  I'm not feeling well and when i get my ass to the dr's there is a strong possibilyt that i may be admitted into the hospital.  so we were discussing if they could get along without me for a short while. My 14 year old dd couldl run the house without breaking a sweat.   All 3 of them could manage to do what they needed to do.  My youngest is 11 so they would need to help out with her but they could manage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN