Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you make a big deal about swearing?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 31 Replies

With my boys, as long as it wasn't a frequent thing or really vile, I didn't mind an occasional slip up or word here and there.

My sister on the other hand, acts as if my nephews have committed murder if they curse. 

Do you think teens cursing is really that big of a deal?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Case to case basis
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I do ask them to watch their language within the home.  They have a 7yr old little brother.  If they are out with me and sometimes let something slip here and there I don't have an issue.  I do feel though that it makes even the smartest person sound uneducated if every other word is an expletive.  I have shared my views with my kids.  They also know that if they are busted at school for using improper language they are on their own.  I will not defend them or smooth things over. 

Msgme
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I  dont mind the occasional bad word or if its relevant to whats being said.  its when it becomes every other word that i have an issue with. 

We actually had an issue with my daughter who it was getting way to frequent.  I didnt really want to punish they way i would of when she was little but i did want her to be more concious of her vocabulary. So we did an incentive.  Her phone was not really working very well and she needed a new one.  So i told her if she went an entire month without cussing she would get a new  phone.  she did and she got the new phone.  She's also much more aware of her choice in words most of the time now.

shorty13417
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM

with my son, as long as he doesn't make it a frequent thing or get to vile with the words.. i mean a slip of the tongue sometimes.... its ok... goodness, i slip a curse word out every now and then.

drfink
by Emily on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Around me and depending what is going on a rare slip up is overlooked ,well I give them a look .They are already giving me a look back and apologizing.I have never heard any of mine cuss in public.

I can walk by the study or they will be in their rooms or with each other upstairs or shooting baskets and I hear some choice words...that I ignore.

bizzeemom2717
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Swearing imo makes one look ignorant and I've always taught my kids there are MUCH better words to use. An occasional slip by my Ds who is almost 21 ok. He's usually already apologizing and looking at me like ohh oh when it comes out his mouth. My DD I think it's vulgar when young girls swear. Just my opinion. Both of my kids don't swear in public.

Mommy2Boys0900
by Donnie's Mom on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM

My older son doesn't curse in front of me. He says he doesn't curse when he's around his friends, but i'm not stupid. I know better. I curse like a sailor, but at 39, i have never cursed in front of my parents.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I expect better from my kids, so they watch their language.  That being said, when they do slip up around me, I remind them to watch their language or I will have to bring out the LifeBoy Soap (think Christmas Story),

diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I don't curse, and my boys don't curse in front of me. I think it is a big deal and my reaction would be somewhere in the middle of you and your sister.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Could care less if they swear or not. They grew up on army bases and have heard it all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN