Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Homecoming dilemma PIOG ETA UPDATE (green)

Posted by   + Show Post

Here's the issue: Homecoming for our school is set for Oct. 19th. Soccer tournament schedule is out & there is a game scheduled for that NIGHT at 7pm. The athletic department is trying to see if it can get changed to an earlier time- like 3pm. IF they can then DS & his GF will miss dinner with their group of friends. If they can not then DS misses the entire thing. And I think his GF will probably stay at home.

DS doesn't want GF to miss out on a special night. Especially since her parents already bought her dress. So he's looking for ideas. He was thinking of taking her out the weekend before or after. But my thing is there would be no reason for her to wear the dress other than to say she wore it. IDK what he is going to do. They were going to go to The Olive Garden for dinner with several friends then go to the dance.

DS wanted to know if anyone on here had suggestions for him?

ETA I guess I should have asked for creative ideas for him to treat her & make up for it if he has to miss the dance. He hates knowing her parents spent money on a dress for Homecoming. She is not one to go to dances to begin with (she's shy) & this was a huge step for her. It's her senior year as well. DS & GF have been best friends since they were 4yo. 

Update: Found out 3 days ago that the tournament game is against another school having their homecoming the same night! Chances that the time would get changed were even better for us. AND... just got the email confirming it HAS been changed to a Noon game time! Praise Him! Now we can move forward!! Have to order a corsage for him now so we have that "secure". Taking him shopping Sunday (possibly with ex's GF since she has a better fashion sense & also works retail so maybe she can hook us up with a discount?).

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Our parade and game is Friday. Saturday is the dance and dinner. Why do it all Friday???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
The young girl should go to the dance with her friends.

As for those who say skip the soccer game, I fervently but respectfully disagree. What kind of life lesson are we teaching our children by allowing them to skip a commitment for a party? Your son sounds like he understands that he is part of a team, that the team would have to forfeit without enough players, he has a Commitment to the team And the only moral choice is to uphold his commitments. But it sounds like you and your son already understand that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My kids have gone to homecoming activities with dates and with friends depending on the year.They have had fun both ways.She should go with girlfriends and on a different evening your son and his gf should have a special dress up evening.

Your son absolutely should go to his game.It is a shame all this wasn't able to be planned in advance but he needs to go to the game.'

Good luck getting homecoming figured out and good luck with the tournament.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I agree with this.  She should try to go with friends then your son should take her out later on and both of them should dress up

Quoting drfink:

My kids have gone to homecoming activities with dates and with friends depending on the year.They have had fun both ways.She should go with girlfriends and on a different evening your son and his gf should have a special dress up evening.

Your son absolutely should go to his game.It is a shame all this wasn't able to be planned in advance but he needs to go to the game.'

Good luck getting homecoming figured out and good luck with the tournament.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I wonder if those saying skip the game didn't realize he was one of the players?  I agree with you skipping the game is not an option nor should it be.

Quoting sahlady:

As for those who say skip the soccer game, I fervently but respectfully disagree. What kind of life lesson are we teaching our children by allowing them to skip a commitment for a party? Your son sounds like he understands that he is part of a team, that the team would have to forfeit without enough players, he has a Commitment to the team And the only moral choice is to uphold his commitments. But it sounds like you and your son already understand that

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this

At my kids' high school, you can go to the dance as long as you're there by 9:45.  The dance ends at 11.  If they are unable to change the game time, I'd say have him help arrange for his girlfriend to go with a group of friends to the dinner/dance (doesn't matter if they are all couples, as long as they are her friends they will understand the reason she is 'stag' and include her anyway), and then do his best to get to the dance before they close the doors. He and his soccer buddies may even be able to have the coach intervene on their behalf to let them into the dance late because of this snafu. If they exchange corsages/bouttineires, he can hopefully arrange to do this before the game.  I'm sure his girlfriend will understand, and she will appreciate it if he tries his best to make sure she has fun in his absence.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

one of my favorite photos of my daughter is the photo of her in her winter formal dress (short) from freshman year.  That day they had a soccer tournament for the school.  They kept advancing forward and the girls were so torn between  winning the whole thing and missing the dance.  They ended up winning.  Every girl who was going to the dance missed dinner, their limo rides, and had to be driven to the dance late by a parent.  The reason I love the photo so much is 1) because of the HUGE smile on her face 2) her scrapped up knees poking out at the bottom of her fancy dress - lmbo!!!!

Quoting fammatthews4:

I wonder if those saying skip the game didn't realize he was one of the players?  I agree with you skipping the game is not an option nor should it be.

Quoting sahlady:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Could she go to the dance with friends if your son's game isn't cancelled?

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
His future can be in that particular soccer game!!!
If this girl is as special as he thinks SHE WOULD UNDERSTAND.
Going all alone with friends, because her boyfriend is at his soccer game, is a honorable reason to explain if anyone ask her, why he is not there with her!
CampClan
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM

The football game is Friday- DS plays soccer. Homecoming was set by the school before the league set the dates for the tourny.

Quoting atlmom2:

Our parade and game is Friday. Saturday is the dance and dinner. Why do it all Friday???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN