Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen drug use- Your general advice afterwards PLEASE

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband found out today that my stepdaughter was suspended from school for having marijuana and a pipe in her bag TWO WEEKS AGO. Her mother decided it was best to have my stepdaughter tell us (GREAT plan) and the school never called us (only her mom). What is most effective approach 2 weeks later?  I feel like she already has been talked to about this by her mother for two weeks and completed her punishment with the school, and a teen will only pay attention to so much.  I know we have to do something, but I have no idea what is effective so late in the game.

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Replies (11-14):
woodswalker
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, we started drug testing after we caught my 15 year old with pot and I dont regret it.   We told him we wouldnt pay for his hockey anymore if he continued to test positive.   We told him he could make dumb decisions when he's an adult and supporting himself, but we wont have him doing drugs under our roof while we are supporting him.   He has tested clean repeatedly.  He's very proud of himself and likes to tell us we are wasting our money on the tests because he will not smoke weed again.  Got his progress report yesterday--6   A's and 2 Bpluses.

createive
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's ever too late to talk.

Pot will make you lazy, it will affect your retention to do homework, it has to be very expensive these days, what about getting arrested and a whole lot more.

If you're talking about punishment, if the bio Mom never did anything I still don't think it's too late for that either. It's not your homes fault you didn't hear about it until so long after.

I personally think you should talk. I wish my parents would have gotten more involved and talked to me more.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's too late for consequences now but if I were your husband I would contact the school and make sure he is put on the list of contacts for school info, including report cards and disciplinary action with his children. The school will then send him duplicates of all paper work that goes home to mom. My friend's husband had to do this b/c his kids bio mom refused to share any info with him.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

If you feel like it was handled, I would have you and your husband sit down with her and explain that it hurts you that she doesn't feel that she can come to you with something like this.  Perhaps that will make her feel a little more open to you and let her know that you know too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)