Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

'Duck Dynasty' T-Shirt Causes Big Problems for High Schooler

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

'Duck Dynasty' T-Shirt Causes Big Problems for High Schooler

by Jeanne Sager

Duck Dynasty shirtHold on to your hats, parents, we've got another "kid in trouble for a t-shirt" story. Only the Virginia teenager who was told his Duck Dynasty shirt was inappropriate for school may surprise you. His reaction to the school putting its foot down on his Uncle Si tee is one for the record books.

Fans of the A&E reality show know Si Robertson as the older bearded man (as opposed to all the other bearded gents) prone to malapropisms. Hence the saying on teen Hunter Spain's shirt that ruffled feathers at Dinwiddie High School: "I will hurt you physically and metaphysically."

School officials said the threat of violence was inappropriate and told Spain to turn it inside out. So what did he do?

He took the offending shirt off and put on a new one. As Hunter said:

I'm not going to look stupid in front of all of these young ladies in the school. So, I decided to get a different T-shirt.

Wait a second. A kid who actually just ... follows the rules?

Go ahead, talk amongst yourself. I do believe I'm a bit verklempt.

Ahhh, where was I? Oh, right, a kid who saw the reason in some reasonable rules and followed through. I like this kid. And I love how he referred to the girls in his school as "young ladies." What a nice Southern gentleman (kind of reminds me of my husband, who was raised about an hour from Dinwiddie).

I'm not actually sure how this even became news -- it seems perhaps the kid's mother brought it to the media's attention? But the fact is, she should be proud of her kid! He did the right thing here, and that's the "real" story.

Just because a school tells a kid to turn a shirt inside out does not mean the kid is being wrong. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't.

And it behooves us as parents to teach our kids the difference, and to teach them how to respond. Not everything is reason to throw a hissy and try to get your way.

My faith in the future is dependent on kids like Hunter Spain, kids who understand that the world does not actually center around them.

So here's my thanks to him, a bright spot in a crazy world! May he wear that t-shirt with pride ... at home!

What would you have done if that was your kid?

Would you have been angry with the school?

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

If it was my kid I would have done nothing, I would have been surprised he had a second shirt with him.

Would I be angry with the school? No.  

Im sure the rule is in place for a reason but it seems they went a bit over board with the rule for THAT shirt.  But then I have no idea what kind of school it is.... maybe they have many issues with this sort of thing and need to be that strict.  But then if it were MY kid and it was a school with SO many problems that they had to be THAT strict I would consider pulling him.  If a school as to do that over such a benign shirt.... and the faculty is so inept to consider each shirt on its own merit I would be worried about the environment my child was in.

bizzeemom2717
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Idk, I don't think my DD's school would have an issue? Not much violence and fighting in the school, however if it were an issue and there was a no tolerance policy I would understand it, explain it to my kid, the reason behind it and have them choose to wear that particular shirt on a diff day.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

My kids would never wear something like that to school. Mainly because they dont own anything like that or ever have. They know it wouldnt be school attireNo I would not be angry with the school.

I once bought my son a Gap Polo shirt that had gap 69 embroidered on it in small letters. I never thought about  69 would be offensive. Ist period teacher called him on it and made him wear it inside out. Luckily for him he had another shirt in his locker. My kid would be horrified to wear his shirt inside out in school. When he got home he was   like OMG what the heck mom ? why didn't you think of that before I wore it .  LOL lesson learned.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Sorry, the shirt is not offensive in any way...who doesn't love Uncle Si? 

Darn shame really, this country has become WAY to sensitive.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Quoting sahlady:

If it was my kid I would have done nothing, I would have been surprised he had a second shirt with him.

Would I be angry with the school? No.  

Im sure the rule is in place for a reason but it seems they went a bit over board with the rule for THAT shirt.  But then I have no idea what kind of school it is.... maybe they have many issues with this sort of thing and need to be that strict.  But then if it were MY kid and it was a school with SO many problems that they had to be THAT strict I would consider pulling him.  If a school as to do that over such a benign shirt.... and the faculty is so inept to consider each shirt on its own merit I would be worried about the environment my child was in.

My thoughts, as well!    Including the surprise that my kid had another shirt with him....lol.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:43 AM

My kid wouldn't have worn a shirt like that. And if the one school she went to that DIDN'T wear a uniform called her on a shirt she was wearing I would be up there to say "well hold on, She walks around with her tits hanging out, He's wearing his pants halfway down around his knees, I can see her thong. Nope, my DD is fine."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN