Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How serious do your teens schools take rivalries?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

The school my son attended opened a few years ago. A neighboring town also opened a new high school that same year. The two schools automatically became rivals. Our school has a stellar athletic program across the board and have already won state titles in several sports. This is unheard of for a new school. The other school, like any other new school is still carving out their athletic program. Every year, in every sport our school has beat them.

This has really intensified the rivalry. It reached a boiling point the year my son was a senior. The week of the rivalry football game, our team found an eviscerated lynx (our mascot) on the practice football field with a bit of the rival schools colors spray painted on the fur.

Of course this infuriated the student body as a whole. Over the course of the last few years, the rivalry has only intensified even though we are no longer in the same district, our teams still play eachother in non district games.

That football game is this coming weekend and already the game is sold out. It really has kind of become a community rivalry as well.

Do your teens schools have a rivalry with another school? 

How serious do their schools take rivalries?

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM
They kinda do but more during playoffs. 3 years in a row these 2 teams were in the state finals.
Dh and I hated each others high schools. Huge rivalry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Yes. We have one close district that is our districts rival~ have been for years apparently. It is actually getting to be out of hand in my opinion since it's trickling down into the youth league sports.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM

next to nill.

My kids' high school doesnt have a football team since it is the district's arts magnet, though it has every other sport.  They do get into silly verbal matches with the closest district school that they might consider a rival,but only during basketball.  The other side yells stuff about having the pretties girls, and our side yells out their API scores (California's academic performance score)... that pretty much shuts the other side down.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Pretty serious..they have a bring back the bell football game and big basketball and volleyball game every year against each other. All in good fun though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)