Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Another call from my son's high school.

Posted by   + Show Post
My son had an angry outburst with one of his teachers. He pushed over her book shelves and swore at her. Last week he let a girl pierce his nose at school and when a assistant principal told him to stop he swore at him. My son is bipolar, and has an anxiety disorder, is on meds and usually a very sweet boy, but has such angry outbursts. Last summer I posted how he punched a fist through a random car window. He has an IEP and is in ED classes at school. I am so scared for him. He has no male role model. His dad is not in his life at all. He sees a therapist of course, but I don't think she is helping him much.
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Replies (21-26):
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I hope this helps improve things. Good luck, and hugs.

Quoting mommersx4:

Talked to the therapist in charge. Looking to adjust meds and change to a different therapist with anger managment. He is so much better in so many ways. No more cutting or drugs or smoking. (random drug tests) but when he scares a teacher by throwing down a big bookcase in her room and swearing at her and last week, an assistant principal-there is lot of anger brewing in my child, that needs to be controled.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM

If the counselor he is seeing is not helping, then you need to find a new one.  Glad that his IEP has changed.  Does he know what is causing him to lose his temper like that?  I know a few people who are close friends that have bipolar and they don't just get angry for a moment and do something rash before moving on.  Usually the meds are there to level them out and keep them at a normal range.  It takes a while for bipolar meds to be figured out since everyone is a little different, but when they are, you'd never know he was bipolar.  This sounds like something different than bipolar or anxiety.

Quoting mommersx4:

He was suspended for two days. They are not very helpful. But, he now has added on his IEP that he can walk out of a classroom at any time if he starts feeling angry, to just walk away. they think he felt trapped when the teacher told him he had to stay after school. Remember, he is bipolar and has a severe anxiety disorder. I adopted him as an infant from the county. He had been drug exposed and a 32 week premie.

Quoting fantasticfour:

If you don't think she's helping him then get him a new one.  What does the school say about it?

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Sounds like he needs different meds and maybe a different therapist.

Don't have much advice but don't use his issues as an excuse or crutch for him to have appropriate behavior.

SnowWhieQueen
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

he needs his meds regulated..in a placement program..its short term but that should help a lot..good luck

mommersx4
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I think so too. this was by far the worst explosion of anger he had. Most of the time he is in a normal range. Not the highs and lows he used to have. He says something triggers him and he explodes.  I am shadowing him at school on Mon., to see what goes on there. If this school can't educate him, there has to be an alternative. I also requested through the medical ins. some straight anger managment classes.

Quoting fantasticfour:

If the counselor he is seeing is not helping, then you need to find a new one.  Glad that his IEP has changed.  Does he know what is causing him to lose his temper like that?  I know a few people who are close friends that have bipolar and they don't just get angry for a moment and do something rash before moving on.  Usually the meds are there to level them out and keep them at a normal range.  It takes a while for bipolar meds to be figured out since everyone is a little different, but when they are, you'd never know he was bipolar.  This sounds like something different than bipolar or anxiety.

Quoting mommersx4:

He was suspended for two days. They are not very helpful. But, he now has added on his IEP that he can walk out of a classroom at any time if he starts feeling angry, to just walk away. they think he felt trapped when the teacher told him he had to stay after school. Remember, he is bipolar and has a severe anxiety disorder. I adopted him as an infant from the county. He had been drug exposed and a 32 week premie.

Quoting fantasticfour:

If you don't think she's helping him then get him a new one.  What does the school say about it?

btherese
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I was thinking about you in prayer, and felt that there must also be something in addition to all you are doing and seeking, an outlet, if you will; sports, music, art, something...something he loves, gardening, cooking, hitting a ball, painting, playing drums, taking care of animals; anything which will give him peace, strength, contentment, and a reason to live each day. I am still praying and I hope you and your son find the right path for him. He is a precious child of God who has a purpose just to find what it is...hugs to you today!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN