Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I just found out my daughter makes herself throw up.

I just found out tonight that my 14 year old daughter has been skipping lunch at school and making herself throw up 1 to 2 times a day for the past month. I am so scared for her and just feel lost. I am sot sure how to handle this one. I told her that I love her and that I am always here for her. We talked and I was able to hold back my tears until after she went to bed. I am scared for her. Have any of you gone threw something like this? What did you do to help your daughter? What should I say to her? What kind of outside help should I seek for her?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

That is a sign of Bulimia.  Get her to her doctor and into therapy ASAP!  (Hugs))

ninaloving
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Therapy and doctor ASAP
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM

This is not something you can fix at home, get her some help.

Thorlin
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

You are a good parent. It is not about you. Get some help IMMEDIATELY. You cannot do this on your own and both of you are going to need ongoing support.

Belovedmoonpixi
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Therapy! ((Hugs)) My mom used to do that.

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:20 AM

You need to get her help right now and don't wait.

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

This is not something you can fix at home, get her some help.

You are so right and she needs to do it now!

suesues
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Get her dr appt right now you cant help her

btherese
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I did this as a teen and young adult, for about 15 years. For me, therapy did not help. But I pray you find the right one. Pay attention as you go and if one therapist makes things worse, find another. What helped me, personally, were two things, in my late 20s, wanting to be healthy, I got into fitness. Eating right, working out, watching my body get strong and my mind followed (to a degree, lol, jk). I also got back into church. Maybe you have a home church, a youth group, pastor, someone who can also come alongside her and just love her. No lecturing, just lifting her up so her self-esteem can grow. It's a horrible cycle; a circle that doesn't end. You get malnourished which makes you hungry, and then you "overeat" (or think you do, because you are starved,) and then you purge, which makes you feel guilty and then your body gets malnourished and calls out for food again. Just beginning to think of food as fuel for a growing body, not the enemy, is the first step. I will pray for you and for her, since I felt that God was the only thing that truly healed me.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I would make an appointment with her doctor or a therapist right away.

I would also let her see you cry and tell her it scares you and why. I did that with my dd when we found out she was cutting. She has since told me that my being honest with her about my feelings helped her be more honest with hers. Good luck and hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN