Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Amazing Grandpa Writes Off Bigoted Daughter for Disowning Her Gay Son

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 8 Replies

Amazing Grandpa Writes Off Bigoted Daughter for Disowning Her Gay Son

by Jacqueline Burt

ay letterFunny thing about grandparents: As incredibly helpful and loving as they can be, it seems like more often than not, whenever they get in the middle of parent/child interactions their "advice" makes things a million times worse. Or, at the very least, their input doesn't help matters much and usually ends up pissing their kid/grandchild's parent off, big time. Anyway, this is one story where the absolute opposite is true -- to the extreme! This is a story in which the grandparent has every reason (and then some) to question his child's parenting abilities. See, the grandpa who wrote the letter pictured here is, quite possibly, the best, most progressive grandpa ever. In fact, let's just call him St. Grandpa from here on out, okay? 

So, St. Grandpa's daughter -- let's call her Mean & Small-Minded Mom -- apparently kicked her son Chad out of the house when he told her he was gay. (His name really is Chad, according to the letter. Otherwise I would've called him Awesome Gay Son or something.) Horrible, horrible, horrible. And completely heartbreaking. Which is exactly what grandpa thought -- and wrote, intelligently and eloquently, as you'll read. Thank god Chad has somebody on his side!!! 

Now, when I first read this story, I thought, Huh. How interesting, usually grandparents are less progressive than their own kids as parents. But the truly mysterious thing about this situation isn't why the member of a younger generation is the more conservative, it's how this amazing grandfather could ever have raised such a heartless and bigoted daughter. As a mom, I can't even imagine how disappointed and heartsick the man must be. How, how do kids go so far off course?? Here, again, is the letter -- trust me, reading it is worth every second of your time:

gay letter

Amazing, right? Who knows, maybe there's still time for this woman to learn a valuable lesson from her father. Maybe there's still time for her to step up to the plate as a mom. Either way, Chad is going to be just fine, I'm sure, thanks to St. Grandpa.

Is this guy the best grandpa ever or what?

Is there anything your child could ever do or be that would cause you to disown them?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM

That is one amazing, awesome grandpa.

I don't think there is anything that would cause me to disown any of my kids. Not speak to them for a while, possibly, but not completely cut them out of my life.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I like the gist of the letter and agree, sad to see a family so divided though

sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

love it

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I can't imagine disowning my kids, I don't even think I am capable.  

St. Grandpa's letter is awesome!   Though, without knowing more about the family dynamics, or hearing the daughter's side (maybe there was more to it than her son being gay).  I am not 'feeling it'.   Something about this seems 'off'.    It seems like rash decisions run in the family!   She kicks her son out and disowns him... and her Dad sends her this letter and disowns her.     This family needs communication skills!

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Now if this were my family - I would be getting emails, phone calls and maybe even a VISIT from my father demanding me to disown my son or daughter. He would probably even threaten to take DD (if it was her) away to his house to "make it go away". I hate to sound cynical - but I don't believe this letter is real. Something is setting me off -I don't know whether it's the handwriting, the grid paper. He must have been over at least 18 for her to kick him out and NOT have legal repercussions for it - depending on state some states allow it at 16 - and if that's the case, then I'm sorry but she had every RIGHT to ask him to leave. I'm a 100% pro gay, but if my child was doing things I didn't agree with; sex, drugs, alcohol, too much dating, parties, etc - I would ask them to leave regardless of sexuality issues or no sexuality issues. Something makes me think "hoax" or -  there's more to the story then we know.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I saw this on the news, and yes he is amazing.
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Love it!

yankeefan828
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM
That is amazing!!! That man is a great father, how could his daughter be such a horrible person with a father like that?!!?
Most likely something like that! Or something involving murder. It's very scary to think of your child being a murderer so I might not be by her side if she was one
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)