Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

8 Things Never to Say to a Teenage Girl

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 10 Replies

8 Things Never to Say to a Teenage Girl

by Emily Abbate

frustrated teenTeens today are a highly unique breed. With their iPhones, Instagram accounts, and heavy addiction to Twitter -- their day-to-day activities are worlds different than what we had to deal with growing up. So communicating with them? Yeah, that takes precision, caution, and a whole lot of skill. Especially when it comes to us girls.

Hoping to be a "cool" mom that your daughter won't roll your eyes at? Then check out our suggestions for 8 things never to say to your teenage daughter.

1. Justin Bieber looked hot at the _____: Stop that. She most likely loves Bieber (even after that whole peeing in a bucket thing) and doesn't EVER want to hear you referring to someone close to her age as HOT. 

2. I saw on Facebook that you ______: Your teen never wants to know you're stalking them on social media. The fact that they friended you in the first place is a big step, one you don't want them to regret.

Teenage_Never_Tell3. You want to go see a movie Friday night? Sundays, weeknights, sure -- your teen would love a free trip to the movies. Friday and Saturday nights, though? Um, MOM, that's when all the cool kids go.

4. How was school today? It's annoying, I know. This question is almost always met with a one-word answer. But when you're just leaving work, do you usually want to tell someone all about it? Or do something else? Right. Something else. FYI: Your teen probably feels the exact same way. Let her decompress.

5. What's that on your face? She knows she has a pimple there. Believe me. Don't remind her.

6. So tell me what's going on with this Justin guy! If she wants to talk to you about the guy she has a crush on, she'll work it into the conversation on your way to the nail salon one day.

7. So see you around 11, then? Sure, she may not listen when you want her to, but using the word "around" when it comes to curfews or meeting times gives your kiddo free reign to be 15 minutes to three HOURS late. Their rebuttal? In their best whining voice: "But mom, you said AROUND 11!"

8. We'll talk about this later: You may as well say, "Hide from me for the next week and a half." If your teen knows that there's some sort of looming confrontation, she's going to do her best to avoid it at all costs.

Do you have certain things you try to avoid saying to your teenage daughter?

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I always said how was school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM
3 moms liked this
Well heck I'm guilty of saying 7 of those things!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aandt1999
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Good thing I don't care about being the "cool" mom then. I don't feel honored that she "friended" me on Facebook. She had no choice. It was a requirement for her having an account, and I am glad she knows I can see her every move. I can even see things she deletes. I have her password as well. 

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM

uh oh all but one here and yet we still have a good relationship.... my daughter can accept mom is just a dorky mom and still love me....lol

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I'm sorry but most of these don't apply to me and my kids.  My daughters LOVE to tell me what's going on at school, who they are crushing on, go out with me on weekends, etc.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM
My DDs been crushing on one guy for almost 5 years now, so I don't need or want to know details there lol, as for the Beiber thing? She would die if I said that cause she HATES Beiber lol. FB? Well she's blocked me from all her status's.
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The only one I disagree with is the facebook one. Not that you should say something about every post but "don't make her regret" friending you.

It isn't a choice. If you are under 18, you have to friend your parent, in my house.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I don't have daughters.... 

jaycam
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I have a almost 13 SD and everything I say to her pisses her off. She doesn't even call me her step mom it's always by my name. If I ask her anything she starts with the attitude if I even look in her derection at times she flips out.

robin.maizlish
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Same here. My kids love to tell me all the details about who they like, how their day was, etc. Usually weekends are time with friends though and I go out with them on week days.

Quoting fantasticfour:

I'm sorry but most of these don't apply to me and my kids.  My daughters LOVE to tell me what's going on at school, who they are crushing on, go out with me on weekends, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)