Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Is this normal?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 15 Replies

Anyone notice a change in their teens when they went into their 1st year of high school? I have noticed her wanting to do everything on her own. She isn't telling us anything (well, much of anything). I used to get by with asking questions (u know small talk), now it seems if I ask more than one/possibly 2 questions she gets upset... Maybe it will even out as the year goes on? I think it's good to be self-sufficient but it seems overboard. Is this normal? 

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM

It seems normal. I mean, mine used to beg me for help on her assignments and things in primary/lower high school, but as soon as she reached grade 10 (first year of serious high school) I was lucky to see a task sheet at all. It was all done at school (or not done at all - teachers never called at all for serious things, just the stupid stuff - long story). I would let her know that you're still monitoring her grades/class work, and that you love how independent and responsible she's being and that if she ever needs you you are ALWAYS there.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Normal. Growing into an adult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

It's pretty normal.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Sounds pretty normal to me.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Normal.    The teachers at high school (at least, our school) really emphasize student independence.  They let the students know from the get go that they are there to teach, not hold hands.  

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Like the other PPs said pretty normal.Part of the process of becoming an adult.

gonecrazi
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Yes it's normal.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Its pretty normal. They are maturing and starting to spread their wings. Feeling they need less help from parents.

I found the best way to converse with my teens was when we did something together. Go out for dinner or shoppng. We had many amazing conversations in the car.

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

It is completely normal. She thinks she is grown and starving for independence. She is around older kids who have freedoms she wants, whether ready for them or not. She will see every question as an intrusion rather than parental inquisitiveness.Stay consistent. You have a right and responsibility to know where and with whom your daughter is. She wont like it but keep asking, just in a way that isn't accusatory. The hard part is that it is likely to get worse. However, the good news is that she will likely ease up around her junior year. Hang tight until then. As a mother who has survived this period twice now, I offer you this one piece of advice that was hard for me to master the first time. Your child is going to do her best to strip you of every ounce of patience you possess. She will attempt to get you upset and arguing with her. Whatever you do, dont let her get you there. Its a trap to distract you from your real purpose of focusing on her. She wants you to give in. Dont argue your rules or with her. Consistency is your friend.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Ugh, my son is in 8th grade. I would assume it's normal behavior, but I'm not ready to deal with it soon. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN