Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

DS is driving me crazy about driving (haha)

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM
  • 22 Replies

As of next Sunday DS will be allowed to get his license. He has officially passed drivers ed but still has to go take the driving test. Well we're trying to schedule that for ASAP.

But here's where I have an issue. I want DS to have a job & save up enough money for insurance before he gets his license. When I add him on to my policy it will go up by $200/month. I think working for a month will get him that $200 & then we can get his license & add him on.He thinks I should put up the money BEFORE he gets his license just so that he can use my car to go back & forth to work.

One of the places he is looking at is Target. A friend of his works there & she said if he puts that he can work 3-close (11pm) then he has a better chance of getting hired. The issue with that is we only have one car (no chance of getting another until income tax returns). I work until 4:30 sometimes 5 M-F. So the earliest he could go in is 5:30. That will be pretty much the way it is until we get a second car in the spring. 

Am I crazy for expecting him to pay for his part of insurance before getting his license? It's sort of like a down payment for me- he gives me the money, gets his license, then we add him to my policy.

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

No, it is not unreasonable.

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Oh my gosh simply adding him to your policy with out a new car is 2,400 dollars a year ? That is a lot , we pay less than that and our 17 yr old has his own car...it is a used car we bought  from with in our extended family but that seems a lot to be sharing a car with you.

We pay for our children's insurance with the understanding they pay the difference if they cause their rates to go up by being at fault in an accident or getting a ticket.So far so good.

I think whether a parent or a kid or a combo of the two pay for insurance is completely up to the parents involved.Those parents knows what works best for their family.Do what you think is best and is affordable for your family.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Quoting drfink:

I think whether a parent or a kid or a combo of the two pay for insurance is completely up to the parents involved.Those parents knows what works best for their family.Do what you think is best and is affordable for your family.

I agree with this. You need to figure out what works best for your family and then go with that. I understand your son's point, but it sounds like it's not the best option for all parties involved. It won't be the end of his world if he has to wait another couple of months before driving.

suesues
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM

he should get his lience anyway and then a job to help out we pay all our kids insurance they could never drive in nyc and afford insurance

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Quoting drfink:

I agree with this~ you need to do what works you and your family.

We pay for our dd's insurance but she paid the payments for half of the cost of her first car. She has since traded that car in on another car and pays the full monthly payment on her own.

gonecrazi
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Just wait until you add another car and a teen driver. Our insurance we up 400 a month

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM

If he works 3 to close could he get a ride with his friend?  I see it as he is in a catch 22. How can he get the money to pay up front IF he doesn't have transportation to work ?

My sons paid 1/2 their insurance. They played sports which took up a lot of time  esp football. But the figured out which stores paid time and 1/2 on Sundays and worked there.

CampClan
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I would be taking him to & from work. The friend doesn't have her license either. Luckily she lives about 5 minutes away from us but Target is literally between us! LOL If her mom (who is a SAHM) can take him to work at 3 it's not an issue with me. Then I would be willing to pick them up at 11 & drive her home.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

If he works 3 to close could he get a ride with his friend?  I see it as he is in a catch 22. How can he get the money to pay up front IF he doesn't have transportation to work ?

My sons paid 1/2 their insurance. They played sports which took up a lot of time  esp football. But the figured out which stores paid time and 1/2 on Sundays and worked there.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Quoting CampClan:

I would be taking him to & from work. The friend doesn't have her license either. Luckily she lives about 5 minutes away from us but Target is literally between us! LOL If her mom (who is a SAHM) can take him to work at 3 it's not an issue with me. Then I would be willing to pick them up at 11 & drive her home.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

That would be awesome. Fingers crossed he applies and gets it.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

CampClan
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting CampClan:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

That would be awesome. Fingers crossed he applies and gets it.

Thanks... And I meant if he has to work 5:30-11 I would do the transport. I'm going to talk to her mom today (we go to church together) & see what she says about the to & from idea. Of course this is assuming they work the same days! LOL But it's now nearing the holiday season & the friend told him to apply so maybe they can tell the scheduling manager they would like to be scheduled the same days. If he works 3-11 then he will have an hour to do homework which concerns me to a point. He's always been a straight A student but he has never had a job to worry about- just soccer which is almost over. *sigh*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)