Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Driving Permit Questions

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM
  • 11 Replies

My stepdaughter will be getting her driving permit soon.  As she reminds me, 11 days from now.  The problem is, her biological mother is moving out of state and hasn't seen her in months and is not involved at all.  My husband (dad) has sole custody of her and unfortuently has been working tons of overtime lately and doesn't know if he can get off of work to take her to get it. 

My question is this... am I allowed to take her in to get the permit?  I am the custodial step parent but am not listed on court documents as a legal guardian.  I tried calling but they won't tell me (typical dmv).  They tell me to come in and then they can give me information.  I'm in Va, so if anyone knows the answer please let me know.  I don't want to break any laws but she is counting down the minutes.

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 5:14 AM

You can you are married to her father and she lives with you, you are the custodial parent.

02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I would say if you have all the documents there should be no problem

02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I know here the parent doesn't even have to go as long as the child has all needed documents to get the permit.

kblpooh
by New Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM
In Vermont there is a form that a guardian has to sign stating it's ok to let a non guardian pursue a permit for the child. Go in and see if they have one. You could also have your husband write a note stating her gives you permission and have it notorized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I have no idea.   Sorry

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Thanks ladies. The form just says parent or guardian on it so I guess that's all I need?
Shell89
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I would think as long as she has all the paperwork signed but a custodial parent it'll be fine. My sister took me to get mine. (both parents worked during the day and she volunteered.)

balagan_imma
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I know that here in Colorado if we want both parents to "count" in the teens driving hours, and one cannot make it, they can sign and have the form notarized. So I took DS1 and signed where I needed to sign in front of them, and DH had signed earlier because he couldn't come with us.

See if you can google the info at your state's DMV

3mom627
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I don't think it matters who takes her to get her permit. Here in PA, my son went with his friend. I doubt if it even matters when she takes the actual driving test. Think of when an instructor would possibly take her. As long as you have the documents that are required, I would hope there won't be a problem. As usual with the DMV, you never know...

3MOM627

have a nice day

suesues
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM

dont think it matters go over there and ask to take papers home to fill out so husband can sign if needed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)