Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teenage daughter caught sneeking back home???

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 10 Replies
I just need to vent right now and wrap my head around something.

I woke up suddenly at 7:45 this morning, which is about half hour or so later than I have been recently. Usually by this time, my SD15 would already have just left to go to school so I was naturally thinking that I must have heard her leave which is why I woke up.

I checked her room to confirm that she was gone and she was not there.

So I'm sitting in the living room having my morning coffee and about 20 minutes later she comes out of her bedroom out into the living room and she says she slept in and missed her bus. WTF??? I said I checked her room and she wasn't there and she said "What do you think I magically appeared?"

She was wearing a bright blue shirt when she came into the living room, her bed set is gray and her bed was empty...I'm pretty sure I would have seen her laying in her bed.

The thing I can't figure out is...if she had have snuck out, how did she get back in? Her bedroom window is pretty high from the ground so she would have needed some kind of help.  Basement windows not an option as both are bedrooms which are occupied by friends of ours, there is a window in the laundry room but she would have had to come back upstairs to her room.  GRRRR...mama bear is pretty upset/confused right now!
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Get an alarm system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Start checking her room at night at different times so she doesn't know when bed check is.  If she isn't there hide in there and wait for her so she can't say she was there.

Vegan_Goddess
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Any chance she was in the bathroom?
NobleStepMom
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM

No, I have to walk past the bathroom to get to the living room, it is in the same hallway as all of our bedrooms.  I confronted her and asked her where she was when I looked in her room and she said she was sleeping in bed.  I know for a fact with my own eyes that she was not in her bed, if she had've been in her bed I would have woken her up and told her she was late for school.

Quoting Vegan_Goddess:

Any chance she was in the bathroom?

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Could she have been in her closet or something like that? But I agree with 02nana07 - start checking her room at random intervals. Take the phone every night and check for plans to sneak out, an alarm system, anything to catch her and confront her with something she cannot deny.
GinaW1971
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Try locking her bedroom window from the inside. This has to be crazy, difficult. Sorry to hear this.
luckysevenwow
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Since you have no proof beyond a sleep recollection of her not being in her bed, I'd let this drop.

That doesn't mean you let it slide though. Set some traps, things she wouldn't really notice but that you would know are there. Make sure there is no way she is sneaking in and out of a door. I'd also start doing some late night room checks, without telling her of course, do it for a good bit of time, this might have been to much of a close call so she might take a little break.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Okay maybe I am weird but I still get up when my kids get up.  Every school day.  Mostly because I'm paranoid they will oversleep.  So there would be no way they could sneak back in without me knowing unless they did it in the wee hours of the morning (we are up at 6am, and my husband usually checks on them before he leaves at 5/5:30am).  Maybe you should try that for awhile?  At this point you don't really have any solid proof, and since you admitted yourself it would be very difficult for her to climb back into her 2nd floor window, pretty much the only thing you can do is start 'policing' her more.  Good luck!

k1kelley
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM

2 of my brothers would fake going to school all the time. They even had an older sil who would write them excuse notes. I agree with random checks and staying on top of her comings and goings. Good luck!

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Since you have no proof beyond a sleep recollection of her not being in her bed, I'd let this drop.

That doesn't mean you let it slide though. Set some traps, things she wouldn't really notice but that you would know are there. Make sure there is no way she is sneaking in and out of a door. I'd also start doing some late night room checks, without telling her of course, do it for a good bit of time, this might have been to much of a close call so she might take a little break.

what I was thinking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)