Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

For those with freshman in college, especially those with their oldest as freshman

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 10 Replies
My inbox is getting flooded with invitations. It seems that we are all missing our children. But not only missing our children, but missing each other. It seems that we kept in touch through our children, And now we are having to make a specially big effort to keep in touch.

Since this is my oldest, I'm wondering if this is the norm? Once your children one off to school did you find it hard to keep in touch with the parents?

And because we are on CM I'm learning life is vastly different in other areas... so are you in a small town? Or a large town?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I was only really friends with one of my dd's friends parents. We had lunch the other day. We never saw each other often. Last time I saw her was January at a movie.
We moved a lot so maybe that is why we are not super good friends with any of our girls friends parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:05 AM

only 1 good friend and we do breakfast alot the rest are in the past

btherese
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I am friends more with my youngest's friends' parents, but I do know my older kids' parents from ball games and such, so I am apt to see them at games if they have siblings or if they just go as alumni. I did go to lunch with my college-aged son's ex-gf's mom, who I do consider a good friend. They dated almost 4 years and even though they were young and it was a stormy romance, I will always love that girl. I think of her as one of my own, and while my son has a current (hopefully forever) gf, whom I truly adore and am very happy about, I will still welcome his ex-gf and her family into my life and heart. We live outside of Las Vegas and my sons live in Vegas.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Yes!    When my oldest graduated HS and he and all his friends went off to college/military/jobs, there was a strange void regarding the other parents.   Like you, we had to make specific dates to get together.    It seems as our kids were the glue that kept us connected.      We kind of went our seperate ways and now occasionally see each other around town and chat....usually about our kids!!

We live in a tight community/area of a college Town/City.  

juno1
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Well, it is harder because you are right...the kids kind of kept us connected..and most  of the ones I am really close with I also saw alot at the school.  (some I still do because I have a younger son as well).  But yes, we have to make dates... 

I walk regularly with one....have a standing cocktail/ appetizer every three weeks with three others ( why selected every three weeks is a mystery..I think we meant to say every third Thursday of the month...but we had already been into the wine!)  And I have done the occasional breakfast.

I'm in a medium size town in SoCal...

It is an adjustment.  Off to see my eldest for the weekend tomorrow.  So excited I could bust..

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

My social life was completely independent of my daughter's, especially since I work.

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I'm not friends with any of my oldest's friends' parents so it's a non issue for me. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM

We were friendly with our dd's friend's parents but didn't get together with them often.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Only the one family, we make an effort to keep in contact with, a few are FB friends.  Some we see with ds, but the rest, we have run our course.

robin.maizlish
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM
My kids are:
20 year old DD Jennifer - second year of college (sophomore)
18 year old DS Evan - senior year of high school (12th grade)
13 year old DD Emily - 7th grade

So only one is in college. I have my hands full with the other two even so but it's still a lot different and you can definitely feel the gap. Next year I will only have Emily left at home so I'm sure I'll be attending more of those :P

But yes I miss Jen lots and lots and that does sometimes help when my kids don't keep me busy enough!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN