Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

High school demanding kids taking courses they dont need

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 25 Replies

My dd is a sophomore in HS.  In order for her to graduate she will  need 44 credits.  Certain classes have to have a specific number of credits.  Global(social studies)  and English must have 4 years or 8 credits.  Math and Science must have 3 years and 6 credits.  Gym is 7 credits or 3 1/2 years.  health and music are both one credit or 1 semester.  Foreign languge is 2 credits or 1 year. art is also 1 credit or 1 semester and the rest are electives. To get an advanced diploma getting a cpl extra electives and another year of a foreign language

In 8th grade my dd got high school credit for math and science.  Freshman year she took an advanced science class that was 2 different classes a regular science nad a research science.  By the time Freshman year was over she was finished with her required science credits.  She took another year of science this year so that she would have 3 seperate science classes with a lab.  The end of this year she will also be finished with her required math credits.  she ended freshman year with just over 20 credits.  She filled her schedule this year.  Most kids in her grade get 1 free period and 1 lunch period.  Classes only meet 4 days a week so there is some freedom.  She however filled her schedule to the brim and does not get lunch or a free period. She's filled out her course selection for next sememster already and she again filled her schedule.  The end of this year  math will be done, science is done, art is finished, foreign language will be finished, Health and she's taking music next semester so that will be done.  She also has several electives under her belt. She is a theatre major which required extra theatre credits for an arts endorsed diploma which she has gotten a cpl of those.  Mid way thru junior year she will have completed the 44 credits.  She will be using junior year to take extra classes like non labed science classes and AP classes.  She will have to still take English, Social studies and gym being that she can't double in core classes  .  but her schedule should be  light.   She found out recently that seniors now have to take a  minimum of 6 classes.   Why not tell her this before she filled her schedule for the year. 

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chcon
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I would not recommend skipping math any year of high school, required or not.

Unless graduating early :-)

Other than that, this is nothing surprising - but I taught high school for a long time.
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM
You need 50 credits here. I think they need to be strict. Our school for years has had strict. Our school is 7 classes a semester, many take 8. You can skip one class junior and senior year if you have enough credits and either have taken summer school or have a gpa of 3.0 or higher. Our school has 100 course offerings. Kids here double up on core classes all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Quoting chcon:

I would not recommend skipping math any year of high school, required or not.

Unless graduating early :-)

Other than that, this is nothing surprising - but I taught high school for a long time.

she's not skipping any math at all.  She will be finished with whats required this year with trig. She will be taking calculus next year in junior year and then there is no more math classes to take

Mom2jngnc
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

You must do your credits more like a college. 

Our HS all full year classes are 1 credit, and half year classes are 1/2, Gym is 1/2 per year (meets every other day). 

We have 9 class periods a day, 40 week school year. 
I know my son ended up with some required classes his Senior year (Health and the last 1/2 of his art credit), because with Resource and speech early on in HS he couldn't get all the classes in the day.

He did take a basic math class his Senior year, and local chemistry. Both classes that he didn't "need" to graduate, but would hopefully help him at the community college

Msgme
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

You need 50 credits here. I think they need to be strict. Our school for years has had strict. Our school is 7 classes a semester, many take 8. You can skip one class junior and senior year if you have enough credits and either have taken summer school or have a gpa of 3.0 or higher. Our school has 100 course offerings. Kids here double up on core classes all the time.

She can't double up on any of the core classes.  she got lucky with science last year by getting accepted into the advanced class.   She's put and is putting in alot of hard work so that senior year would be a light year and give her time for other stuff.  now they decide that they are no longer letting seniors only have a few classes. Yes 6 classes is still a very light schedule for her but they could of told her that when she spoke with her guidance counselor when she chose her classes this year.   She would of taken a lunch period.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

In Ontario you need 30 credits to graduate as well as 40 hours community service and pass the provincial English test given in tenth grade. All classes are worth 1 credit except for class in tenth grade that splits the class into 2 one half credits.  There is no way any student could of packed thier sceduale like your DD did they are given 8 classes total a yr period end of story. The only way they can get extra credits is through summer school. Lunch is also not an option,you have a scedualed lunch no matter what.

Also there are certain classes they have to take in certain yrs. Ie a senior science or senior math. Also English must be taken all 4 yrs.  I see no problem with telling these kids here is what you can take as options and here is what is required to take each yr.

ALL students must complete 4 English credits, 3 math credits, 1French credit, 1 art credit,1 gym credit,1 history credit,1geography credit, 1careers/civics credit, 2 science credits, 1 tech credit, either a coop, another tech credit, a senior science ,math or specialized english then some options and I don't recall those

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM

The reason to attempt to take math every year is because when she is in college it is easier in math if there has not been a couple of years without math.Our school really tries to find math forevry one  every year.My junior is in A.P. calculus this year.We are already trying to determine what he should take next year to keep his mind in the math way.

Good for her to take A.P. classes.My oldest two took about 12  credits with them.It was very helpful ,they were able to have a little lighter load freshman year and later had time to take an elective just for fun ,not neccesarily following there degree plan.It gave them some space.

pdxmum
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Can she just take more math and science her senior year?  Colleges love seeing kids taking more than the minimum required.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM

That's too bad.   My kids both strived to make sure they could have half days their senior year....well, actually, my youngest didn't even go to school for most of his senior year... lol.   He was done.    Both did take math courses senior year (youngest did it online), as colleges recommend Math and core classes instead of 'fluff' classes senior year.      On the bright side, your DD will be able to take college credit courses her senior year and be a step ahead in college!   

tammeee3
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:10 AM
She sounds alot like my daughter(who is a junior) i don't know if you have started looking at colleges yet... but i am sure with the classes you have mentioned..sounds like she might want to go to a really good school..we have been looking at colleges and wether the school required it or not.they really can't take an easy senior year..colleges look at that now..my daughter has hers packed with ap classes for next year because she has fulfilled basic requirements already..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN