Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

do they pay?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 25 Replies
For those with teens that work. Do you make them pay any bills or is there something that they are responsible for paying?

My daughter is 16 and helps me pay for her acting classes. I did not ask our tell her she has to do this. It's something she's taken on, on her own. I do however make her responsible for buying her birth control. She also pays for whatever she
wants to do at school.

So do your teens pay any bills?
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Msgme
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My kids dont actualy have a job.  My dd does tutor children that she gets paid to tutor. Its not a whole lot of money and most of it gets put away but she does take care of her cell phone bill.  Well most of her bill.  I recently switiched her plan and it went from $35 a month to $45 and i take care of the other $10 since it was my choice.

smenjivar
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM
See I was going to have my daughter be responsible fir her cell phone bill, but then her hours were cut at work so I pay it.

Quoting Msgme:

My kids dont actualy have a job.  My dd does tutor children that she gets paid to tutor. Its not a whole lot of money and most of it gets put away but she does take care of her cell phone bill.  Well most of her bill.  I recently switiched her plan and it went from $35 a month to $45 and i take care of the other $10 since it was my choice.

gonecrazi
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

When he gets a job he will help pay insurance on his truck.

robin.maizlish
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM
20 year old DD Jennifer works as a waitress on the side since she's in college and she pays for some things not all. She's a sophomore in college (it's her second year).

18 year old DS Evan has a job as a lifeguard (he's in his senior year of high school - 12th grade). He pays for a little but we pay for most.

13 year old DD Emily (she's in 7th grade) is a mother's helper (it's like the step before a babysitter - you help out with the child with the parent present). She doesn't really pay for anything with that money though, although sometimes she does.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM

In High School, The kids will pay for their vehicle expenses and cell phone bills once the get jobs.

Once in College, we wil lhave to figure out what to pay but they will be contributing.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

createive
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM
If they have income paying is good. My kids are too young. But I make them kind fully aware of expenses.

I did and it was good for me.

Didn't you?
bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM

In highschool they were responsible for all thier own entertainment, extras at school and any clothing that was deemed extra. I payed all sports fees and school fees as well as cell phone bills. I told them I would pay the cell phone until collage graduation as I wanted them to have it and I wanted to be able to get ahold of them if required. Also they pay for or take loans for post secondary as if they pay for it themselves they tend to work harder as it is there money.

For example DD wanted to go on the senior trip to Cuba for a week that was an extra mam was not going to foot 1600 dollars worth of entertainment. She paid for it and had a great ime .

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Only their car insurance, gas, maintenance.   

Adexecmom
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

No, because I consider school their jobs.  My older daughter worked at my job the past 2 summers, which was really good for her.  Now she's in college and I'm trying to get her to understand she is a poor college student.  She doesn't know how to be poor.  But she did get into a great college and that's what is important to us.  Aside from money, she's very responsible.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM
No in high school and college that is considered their jobs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)