Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Mom's Guilt Trip

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 21 Replies

Not the typical Mom's guilt trip.....this Mom is feeling guilty that I am taking a trip sans kids.   Is this normal?

Dh and I are taking off next week and heading to California.  We will be going to Santa Cruz and San Francisco.   Both are places that our sons enjoy and we have great memories of times spent there as a family.  We haven't been there (which is Home for me) in many years.   I am looking forward to spending time with my sisters, meeting up with an old friend, and just enjoying some stress free, work free time with DH. 

Why do I feel so guilty????  Our sons are adults!  One is in college, the other is working....they couldn't go even if we asked them. 

Anyone else feel guilty leaving your kids behind?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM
3 moms liked this
We never feel bad. Never felt bad leaving them when they were small either. Being a married couple and being parents takes a balance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smenjivar
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I feel bad for a little while...then get over it. Lol
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

We never feel bad. Never felt bad leaving them when they were small either. Being a married couple and being parents takes a balance.

Dh and I have always taken long weekend type getaways... but we never left the kids for more than 2-3 nights when they were little.     We went to Vegas once and all I could think of was how much the boys would enjoy the sites, lol.    We took them the following summer.

I think my problem is that we are going someplace that they love.   Though they have been there more recently than we have. (They went with my parents a few years back).

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Quoting smenjivar:

I feel bad for a little while...then get over it. Lol

I'm hoping that is how I will feel!    Dh says that it is OUR TURN and he does not want me to be constantly saying "Oh, the boys would love this....."   Which is what I usually do.

smenjivar
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with your dh . Your boys are grown. You did you're part in raising them, now it's time for you and your dh to enjoy each other again.
drfink
by Emily on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes and in the way you describe.All of mine are not adults but their two older siblings will come in or they get a trip to see them. It's not the guilt that they need me LOL nope they like some non parent time but that it is someplace they really like also.

I tend to get over and also plan a trip for them to come another time.It helps.

HAVE FUN !!!

bizzeemom2717
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I have always tried to remember the best gift we can give to our children is the example of a happy and healthy marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Have a great trip!

We still have younger children and we haven't gone anywhere without them yet. I do feel guilty if we go somewhere and our dd, 19, is unable to go along.

suesues
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM

yes but you will get over that as soon as your on the road.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM

So far we've only done weekends away and nothing very far.  However I know myself and i know I would feel a little guilty just like you.  Especially if we are going somewhere I know they enjoy going.  Have a good time despite the "mom guilt"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN