Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

is it normal for my teenagers to never want to be home?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM
  • 21 Replies

i have a teenage daughter that never wants to be at home, she says it is boring. she has recently been taking off without telling me anything. is that normal? how do i go about this , i dont want to come across as the bad parent, since i am the only one she has. i worry about her because she does have this briend and they have been seeing eachother for about 10 months now. she use to be so easy to handle but here recently she has been very difficult! 

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

How old? If she's over 18 there's not much you can do. If under 18, then you could be held responsible for any curfew violations.

Is she driving herself? Might need to take the keys... again, if she's underage.

bizzeemom2717
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this
No taking off without telling you anything isn't normal it's something you have allowed. My kids have always told me where they are going and up until adulthood asked for permission. When my Dh or I leave to go somewhere we tell each other where we are going out of respect and common courtesy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Wanting to hang with friends is normal but take off with out discussing it with us would not work here.That would be a quick way to not get to go anywhere.

amonkeymom
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Totally normal!  Don't you remember being a teen and wanting to hang out wityour friends?

Sometimes we have to put our foot down... be the "bad parent" or they she will continue to do whatever she wants without your consent or knowledge.  Sometimes being the "bad guy" really means that you're being a good parent!

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Very normal. I was never home either as a teenager. Should tell you where they are. Heck, my 22 yo tells me where she is 90% of the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Belovedmoonpixi
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM

not wanting to be at home is perfectly normal, but she should be telling you where she´s going and when she expects to be back. if she´s going to be late, she should call you. Talk to her.

mommersx4
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Just walking out like that is not normal. My 16 year old always asks permission, and is never out late at night. Fri. night 8:30, I took him to mall at 4:30 and picked him up 8:30. Tonight we went out and saw a movie. He loves being home (I think!) and I have open door for friends.

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:28 AM

For the most point, but my kids as teens always wanted to be here with it seems like 100 friends.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Teens wanting to be gone is normal, however her going places without letting you know where and when she will be back is unacceptable.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Yes, it's normal, but it doesn't mean it should happen. Family time is important also, and there is no way my kids would just go where they want without at least approaching me with it first.

My rule was school nights were off limits, between school and extra curriculars there just wasn't time for it. Friday and Saturday nights were their's to do what they wanted with. Saturday and Sunday day's were for the family. Saturday was usually more about getting chores caught up, but Sunday was spent doing things as a family. It was an understanding from very young so it was never an issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN