Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Please no more trick or treating!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  • 31 Replies

At what age do you hit the brakes on trick or treating? My DD is 13. She is petite and could pass for a 11yr old. 

She gets so excited about Halloween. I feel its a holiday for elementary age kids... She will be so disappointed if I make her stop. Should this be the last year? She starts high school next year for goodness sake! 

mummythanks!

October is Sensory Processing Disorder awareness month! 

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RandiBear
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM
4 moms liked this

I wouldn't...not yet. My friends and I went until we were 15. Then, we switched to having parties and going to haunted houses...but still dressed up. Halloween is so much fun for kids and with today's world...we want to keep kids as excited about silly things as long as possible. There is more than enough time for them to grow up and be serious.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I say HS age. Mine started giving out candy then or we happened to be out of town anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulieSantee
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Why not let her decide?  Most kids put a stop to it on their own.  I was around 15 or so the last time I went with friends around the neighborhood.  I went once again when I was 25. It was an event planned by the college I attended and we stopped by faculty and staff members houses only.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Mine gave up trick or treating last year and took door duty instead. He still dresses up, though.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I let my kids go as long as they wanted. My son was done @ 13, my daughter @15. She however still dresses up she just does it to pass out candy now. She's 18
bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM

My boys gave it up about grade 8 or so, DD was a hanger on I rememeber in grade 10 she and girlfriend went out dressed up and thier boyfriends went out with them to make sure they were SAFE,the boys didn't dress up.  DD is still into Halloween and way over the top with it. As of tonight she has figured out her costume bought all the pieces now she would like me to but the crystals on the top. She's 21 and going to a house party as well as the campus pub for a party

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM

My sons stopped when they were ready.   My oldest was 13.   My youngest was 10.     As long as she is enjoying herself, I say let her!   It is harmless fun.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I leave that up to my kids - assuming they are nice and respectful with trick or treating. My 21yo is going in costume with the kids this year - but isn't getting any candy. Assuming that she has a 'real' costume, not just a "sexy" one then I agree with it.

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM

As long as mine made an effort with a costume I let them go.My current teens went last year.A friend that lives close by had a small Halloween party ...it was over by 10:00.Costumes were required and they did go trick or treating.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Around here, it's common to ToT through high school. I only stopped at 15 because I had my daughter 2 weeks before my 16th Halloween.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 16 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 17 years old (niece) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)