Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if your teen is caught drinking?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the age, the amount, and what they were drinking. In Australia the drinking age is 18 - so it wasn't unsual to hear my (then) 18yo talking about wine with dinner, or for her to come home and find she'd had a beer or two while she was out at a friends. We talk about alcohol, alcohol safety, and to call if they ever need anything.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Age? What was the situation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM

That depends on the situation

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Caught by who?  I have to agree with Gleeking, it would depend on the age, maturity, where they were, what they did afterwards (driving) who they were with, etc.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Would need more information.  What I did would depend on several different factors.

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Agree with all the posters before me.Depends....

PoliteisRight
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM

High School age, anywhere?  Would you give a big punishment, or just discuss?

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Age? What was the situation?

PoliteisRight
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM

A high school age kid, it could be at a party, wherever.  Just wondered how would you discipline?

Quoting fammatthews4:

Would need more information.  What I did would depend on several different factors.

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Well to start with we have always told our teens that they can call us if they were drinking.That if we suspected ...we ae not police so we set the standard ...lol....they drove and drank we would take their car away for good.They could have a car when they could buy it ,provide insurance and gas.We ae able to provide all of that for our children.We have told them if they call us because they have been drinking they would get into some trouble but to keep in mind SOME trouble ...grounded for a week ,lots and lots of talks with us v.s. no car for years .So far so good.

Just drinking the first time would involve some milder punishment ,a loss of trust type of consequences and my husband and I on high alert for any behavioral changes...school ,friends ,grades that would point to drinking being a regular activity.I am not naive ,I expect that my older children drank a few times before they went to college and my younger ones may as well.I will have consequences but if it is a rare occasional thing I would treat it as such.

When they are old enough to go out in the evening ,I am always awake enough or up to make sure they make curfew.I also give them a big welcome home hug and ask if they had a good evening and engage them in a short conversation...sniffing ,observing ,listening ...lol.Last summer my daughter was home from college and overheard a friend I discuss doing this with our 16 y.o. sons...she was heartbroken...LOL.She told me she thought I always did that because I love her....I told that was exactly why I did that because I do love her very much and want to make sure she becomes an adult safe and sound.The same reason I do it with her brothers.It is a strong form of love to parent your child.She gets it now.

PoliteisRight
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Great way to handle it and to be on alert!!

Quoting drfink:

Well to start with we have always told our teens that they can call us if they were drinking.That if we suspected ...we ae not police so we set the standard ...lol....they drove and drank we would take their car away for good.They could have a car when they could buy it ,provide insurance and gas.We ae able to provide all of that for our children.We have told them if they call us because they have been drinking they would get into some trouble but to keep in mind SOME trouble ...grounded for a week ,lots and lots of talks with us v.s. no car for years .So far so good.

Just drinking the first time would involve some milder punishment ,a loss of trust type of consequences and my husband and I on high alert for any behavioral changes...school ,friends ,grades that would point to drinking being a regular activity.I am not naive ,I expect that my older children drank a few times before they went to college and my younger ones may as well.I will have consequences but if it is a rare occasional thing I would treat it as such.

When they are old enough to go out in the evening ,I am always awake enough or up to make sure they make curfew.I also give them a big welcome home hug and ask if they had a good evening and engage them in a short conversation...sniffing ,observing ,listening ...lol.Last summer my daughter was home from college and overheard a friend I discuss doing this with our 16 y.o. sons...she was heartbroken...LOL.She told me she thought I always did that because I love her....I told that was exactly why I did that because I do love her very much and want to make sure she becomes an adult safe and sound.The same reason I do it with her brothers.It is a strong form of love to parent your child.She gets it now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)