Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you have left piles of cloths on the floor in your room when you were a teen?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 28 Replies

There is about 7 loads of laundry on my SD's floor, under the bed and closet that my DH just found.  He pulled it all out and dumped it in the garage by the washer and dryer.  I am going to assume that half these cloths and linens are clean. 

My mother would have strung me up if I did that.  I don't even think there were dust bunnies under my bed.  Everything was either folded in the dresser or hung up. 

New rule in my house.  Before you get to go somewhere nothing better be on the floor.  We even took out the dirty cloths hamper since it is always overflowing with more then just dirty clothes.  If you take it off and it is dirty it goes straight to the garage to be washed. 

Addition:  I am amazed at how many had cloths all over their floors.  Wow my parents were really strict.  I grew up in the military life.  Well after she gets it all done let's see if it ends up back on the floor in the future. 

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I had piles on my floor. It was usually clean stuff, though. My mom had the rule that if we wanted her to wash our dirty laundry, we had to have it at least right outside her bedrm door, preferably in the laundry basket in her rm. I was too lazy to do my own laundry (yes, she did teach me how, and made me do a few loads to make sure I got it), so I made sure it got where it needed to be for her to do it.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, of course, lol!    Seriously, my room as a teen was a mess!   Getting dressed was a major ordeal... I would try on everything in the closet, then discard it on my bed, the floor, a chair...wherever it landed.  I was terrible about that!   However, only clean clothes were tossed around.    Dirty clothes were not allowed to touch clean clothes, or I would insist on washing the dirty and the clean....because they had been 'tainted'. 

I also would wash just one pair of jeans if I wanted to wear them that night...one pair.   Drove my parents bonkers...

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I never owned enough clothes to have piles on the floor. Plus my mother ran our house like a boot camp. Everything has a place and it better be in it. If it wasn't you weren't allowed out until it was.

deb51980
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Same here with the few clothes...except it was Dad who was the enforcer.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I never owned enough clothes to have piles on the floor. Plus my mother ran our house like a boot camp. Everything has a place and it better be in it. If it wasn't you weren't allowed out until it was.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I wouldn't have had but I've always been a bit OCD. My husband lives out of a laundry basket, never puts his clothes in his dresser but he does put dirty laundry in the hamper. Our dd, 19, used to have a sty for a bedroom~ clothes and stuff all over the floor and on every surface. She's gotten neater as she's gotten older. Our sons, 11 and 8,  have lego villages all over their floor but they keep their clean laundry put away in the dresser and their dirty laundry in the hamper.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM

My God my room was a nightmare and bomb fallout. I had two beds one was full of clean clothes the other I slept in. The stuff on the floor was dirty or at least most of it had been worn. My brother would collect the towels over a period of about a week or so them mum would yell up the stairs to bring it all down or he could drip dry.  My son has a huge dresser and guess where his clean stuff is  YUP the corner on the floor opening the draws is just too much work for hi.  DD well she is a clothes horseand she has the basement level of the house to her self,minus the laundry room. He r floor is covered in both clean and dirty her spare bed is covered in clean and her dressing room well it looks like the clothes exploded out of the 2 dressers

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Well, of course, lol!    Seriously, my room as a teen was a mess!   Getting dressed was a major ordeal... I would try on everything in the closet, then discard it on my bed, the floor, a chair...wherever it landed.  I was terrible about that!   However, only clean clothes were tossed around.    Dirty clothes were not allowed to touch clean clothes, or I would insist on washing the dirty and the clean....because they had been 'tainted'. 

I also would wash just one pair of jeans if I wanted to wear them that night...one pair.   Drove my parents bonkers...

LOL I think most teens live like this, your description cracks me up! I was OCD as a teen and wish I had been this carefree! My DD and DS started to have piles on the floor at about oh 12...that's when they started doing their OWN laundry. Much bigger battles to pick in my opinion than laundry? Close the door and let her do her own laundry...if this is your biggest issue be grateful, if not focus time and energy on the more important matters or you will exhaust yourselves as parents....JMO

happymia
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM
My room was awful as a teen. I had two rooms, one upstairs where i kept my clothes and relaxing stuff, and one downstairs where i kept more clothes and my bed.
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I kicked stuff under the bed as a kid, but never that much.  My parents would never allowed it.  I expect clothes to be in the hamper.  We all do laundry, so no one would want to do that much laundry.  I would make him do his own laundry.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Yep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)