Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Has your teen ever had to repeat any classes?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 16 Replies

My friend just informed me that her daughter is repeating English 10, while at the same time taking 11th grade English after failing last year.

Has your teen ever had to repeat a class?

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

No.  Made my 22 yo go to summer school to raise her D in Biology to a C when she was in HS. 

Our school allows you to go to recovery summer school and raise any core class and foreign language grades up one letter grade.  Even a B to an A.  I don't really agree with it.  It is easy, show up for 4 weeks and your grade changes and no one knows the wiser.  It screws your gpa a lot if you do it for 2 classes a year.  It used to be F to a D, D to a C and C to a B.  NOT B to an A.  My neighbor told me you can do that now.  Her son did it.  He changed his B+ to an A+. 

My college dd has dropped a couple classes and will retake them.  She has a W, not an F on her transcript though. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

No, but if he doesn't bring up his Spanish gr, he just might be. . .

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM

My son is repeating Algebra II even though it is not required for graduation.  He passed it with a D but couldn't pass his SOL tests on it.  He wants to retake it.  I retook Algebra II as well but for an entirely different reason.  As far as English, the students here are not permitted 2 english courses in 1 year.  They can take it during summer school but not during the year like that student.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Wow, many students double up on math, science, or English. Colleges like to see 5 or 6 years of English or other subjects so that is only possible by doubling up.

Quoting fantasticfour:

My son is repeating Algebra II even though it is not required for graduation.  He passed it with a D but couldn't pass his SOL tests on it.  He wants to retake it.  I retook Algebra II as well but for an entirely different reason.  As far as English, the students here are not permitted 2 english courses in 1 year.  They can take it during summer school but not during the year like that student.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

My dd had to repeat phys ed her 9th grade year. It's a 1/2 year course so she made it up during the second half of the year in place of study hall.

bizzeemom2717
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM
My DD is repeating Spanish 1. DS no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:42 AM

She repeated a drama class - but that was her own choice. I told her NOT to do it; but her education her choice according to the school. So she retook it and failed again because she wasn't "dramatic" enough. DD managed to pass all her science classes even when she was refusing to do any of the work or testing.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Nope,   My dd has never come close to failing a class.  My son failed 1 term of math but instead of having him repeat it they moved him up to the next class.  he doesnt need it for graduation so they wont let him re take it.His school has more options than my dd's school.  If he's not where he suppose to be credit wise he can take a night class next semester.  but during 1st semester or regular school neither of them can double up on any core classes.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM

My DS had to repeat pre-Algebra, but not because he failed it. We moved the summer before he started 7th grade, and pre-Algebra (which he took in 6th grade) was the highest math class the new school offered to 7th graders. The math teacher told us he could take Algebra 1 with the 8th graders, but she thought it was better for him to have another year of the fundamentals to really get them down. I don't think he needed it, but we let him make the decision and he chose to take pre-Algebra again.

02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM

no she was given extra credit after she failed so she could get credit and pass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN