Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your teen been bullied? What did you do?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this
No neither one thank goodness. Hopefully you will get more feedback
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:15 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd has had some problems.  In 7th grade she had a girl that was pulling her hair, name calling and she was taking her math homework and drawing all over it. writing bad words etc....    She did not come to me about it all i accidently read a convo on fb of my dd telling her she wasnt going to put up with it anymore. I called the dean the next morning.  They ended up not really doing anything except for threatening the girl to be removed from t he class that she was in.  Her and the girl became really good friends.

There was another  problem where she had a group of girls looking to jump her. Over a boy.  Her and the boy were just friends but u know how teenage girls are.  I had to have a conversation with 3 of them  and let them know they needed to let it go and move on.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Ds1 was in 5th gr, by his supposed best friend. This was their 1st yr of middle school, and luckily it was nothing physical. When he 1st told us about it (at some point during 1st semester), we called "P"'s parents- they lived down the street. They were very open and receptive, talked w/ P, and he admitted it. Things got better for a bit, then P started up again. We talked to the parents again, and told the teacher, since they were in the same class. Again, it stopped for a bit, thens tarted again. We had a conference w/ the teacher, and she told us she was having a hard time knowing when P was bothering ds1 b/c ds1 was still trying to be friends w/ P- they had been good friends since 2nd gr, and he didn't want to lose that. We finally got him to understand that he couldn't keep talking w/ P if he wanted the teacher to help when P acting like a bully. The teacher also got the guidance counselor involved. The G.C. met w/ the boys both together and separately. The bullying did stop for good before the school yr ended. They were apart during the summer, and were friendly again, w/ no more problems, when 6th gr started- not best friends anymore, but friends. P moved after that school yr, and I'll admit, dh and I were glad. Ds1 has not had any bullying issues since.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My son Kyle was bullied, the only thing that helped him out was to learn to deal with the situation and it worked and he ended up being very popular though out the remainder of school.

1kidmomajm
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is in eighth grade. In 7th he was harrassed about his lack of sports skills in gym by some jock kids, one that he went to preschool with that, was just showing off in front of the other kids. But when the kids questions his sports knowledge and he answered every question correctly, they were impressed and he became friendly with a couple of the kids. A neighbor who lived behind us for 2 years, 1 year older than my son, came from some hard times. My son and him used to play in our yards and one day they were arguing over basket ball rules. They were playing with the little preschool set we still had. The kid jumped my son on our deck, was on top of him and started hitting him and got a couple punches in. I ran outside and screamed at the kid. Called his mom after I settled down and told her she needs to get her son in therapy. I knew it was wrong that he did this to my son, but I knew the kids was sad in life. Several times in gym kids in boxers were teasing another kid about his tighty whities. My son had them too but they didnt tease him. Finally my son stood up for the other kid and said at least his tighty whities dont have baby dinosours on them. One of the kids boxers did.  That stopped that!  Middle school I think can be tougher than high school.

pce68
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Not as a teen, thank goodness. At least not yet. But she was bullied, or picked on, I guess it's considered the same these days, when she was in 2nd grade. These 2 girls were always doing things to my dd, like trying to trip her, or just being nasty to her, and just a bunch of little things that kept adding up until my dd was crying everyday, and not wanting to go to school. She didn't want me to talk to the teacher, but finally I did anyway. I tried first to talk to my daughter and tell her to stand up to the kids, and try not to get upset and things like that, but it just wasn't helping. She was afraid to go to the teacher herself, so I finally talked to the teacher and the counselor and they got a hold of it and started paying more attention to what was going on, and moved my dd away from those girls and things got better. And the school made sure that in 3rd grade those girls were NOT in my dd's class.

JackandJayne
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Not trying to hijack the post but was wondering, do any of you ever try to contact the parents of kids who are the ones bullying? It's probably pretty tough unless you live in a small community. Do counselors/teachers bother calling the parents of the kid who is the one picking on other kids? You'd think that'd be the quickest way to nip it in the bud. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)