Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What does your teen eat?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 27 Replies

My daughter is 14 and i'm worried about her nutrition.  She doesnt eat breakfast.  She only eats for example a bag of fritos and a kit kat for lunch.  When she comes home, it's chips or a bowl of cereal and then at dinner she picks around usually only eating the meat or if there is something like mac n cheese or mashed potatoes, she will eat that.  

She gets no fruits or veggies.  She complains of headaches and wants to sleep all the time.  I tell her the headaches are because she needs to eat better.  She is all about convenience.  We eat healthy, she wants to eat things out of boxes or bags.  I dont supply alot of that stuff. She doesnt want to take the time to actually "make" something.  

What do your kids eat?  Do you still worry about their nutrition?  How can you make a teenager eat better?   

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I have the same problems with my oldest.  She is 16 and just wants to eat fast food and processed foods (chips, goldfish crackers, etc.).  She had surrgery last april and ever since, she gets diarrhea every time she eats fruit, so I can't get her to eat it. I try every few weeks, hoping her tummy is back to normal, but she says it still keeps happening. She will eat some vegetables so I try to have a vegetable every night with dinner.  I just keep encouraging her to eat better.  She is tiny and doesn't have a weight problem which makes it more difficult (if her appearance was more affected by what she eats, she'd probably eat better!).  My 14 year old is much better, but she is less active and therefore more likely to gain weight if she doesn't eat right, so I think that's why she is more conscientious about it.  I think all we can do is keep encouraging good habits and try to provide nutritious foods to eat.  Also, I don't provide money for trips to fast food restaurants or gas station runs for chips and soda--if she wants that stuff, it's coming out of her own pocket!

lilmomma625
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

That's my daughter too.  I was also the same way....needless to say, it caught up!! 

I just asked her to think of what kinds of things she would like to have available to eat.  Maybe she has better ideas than I do or knows something I havent thought of.  

Quoting Niccalyn:

I have the same problems with my oldest.  She is 16 and just wants to eat fast food and processed foods (chips, goldfish crackers, etc.).  She had surrgery last april and ever since, she gets diarrhea every time she eats fruit, so I can't get her to eat it. I try every few weeks, hoping her tummy is back to normal, but she says it still keeps happening. She will eat some vegetables so I try to have a vegetable every night with dinner.  I just keep encouraging her to eat better.  She is tiny and doesn't have a weight problem which makes it more difficult (if her appearance was more affected by what she eats, she'd probably eat better!).  My 14 year old is much better, but she is less active and therefore more likely to gain weight if she doesn't eat right, so I think that's why she is more conscientious about it.  I think all we can do is keep encouraging good habits and try to provide nutritious foods to eat.  Also, I don't provide money for trips to fast food restaurants or gas station runs for chips and soda--if she wants that stuff, it's coming out of her own pocket!

navyjen
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

First off stop buying junk and having it in the house.   Make her eat breakfast before she goes to school.   You are the parent.  Offer a nutritious breakfast and see that she eats it.  You dont have much control over lunch -- why is the school offering kit kat and fritos at lunch any way????  As for dinner no privledges unless she eats a little bit of everything on her plate.  

Some suggestions -- include her in meal planning process.  Ask her what she wants to eat?  Have her help cook.   

Make a fruit salad.   

One thing we do in our house is a healthy snack drawer in the fridge.  Everytime I shop I make snack bags of grapes, or cucumbers, carrots, celery , red and yellow peppers, strawberries and raspberries and then the kids can just come and grab a healthy snack from the drawer and they eat better this way.   If you dont have the junk in the house they cant eat it.   If you find a meal she likes that is healthy make extra's and put it in containers so she can eat it the next night or heck even for breakfast...   

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids eat anything and everything

Mommy2Boys0900
by Donnie's Mom on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM
This is sooo true about my older son, but not my little one

Quoting PurpleHazey:

My kids eat anything and everything

rebeccab1966
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Does she have a lunch account at school?  If so, get rid of it, and don't give her cash, and pack her lunch.  She'll get hungry and eat.  My 14 year old son will eat whatever you put in front of him, he's like a furnace.  But my 11 year old daughter is tiny and never has much of an appetite.  I have to make her eat, but I've gotten her interested in cooking, and now she'll eat whatever we cook together.  She also picked out some recipes she wants to try.  Maybe she could pack her own lunch, making sure it's healthy, with some new ideas, like wraps instead of sandwiches, cubed cheese, cut up veggies with lite ranch dip?

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Outside of my vegetarian DD, mine will eat almost anything.
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM

My dd never ate breakfast either.  We sit down and eat dinner ever night, so I know that they are eating at least one good meal.   I had them  make lunches for school the night before.

romalove
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Vegetarian.

1kidmomajm
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Is your daughter alone in the mornings before school. Can you insist she eat something, a bowl of cereal and some strawberries, turkey bacon. Do you have stuff that she can pack a lunch. Ham and cheese sandwich and fritos? What if you pack it for her? I would find a veggie and fruit she likes and tell her she has to eat each at least once a day, like at dinner. Here I am saying this and my 13 yr old son eats next to nothing! He has horrible texture issues, I do too but his are bad. His lunches are all starch, he doesnt like things "getting gross" in his luch no matter how its packed. Sometimes I can put a few raw greenbeans or cherry tomatoes in his lunch with an icepack. As for breakfast, its cereal, cheerios, apple jacks, usually. Sometimes waffles or a mini chicken nugget in a biscuit (protein). As for dinner he eats some salad, but peas every night. (I think peas are gross, but he loves them). Mac and cheese, or roasted chicken, we eat red meat rarely. Baked beans, cous cous. He doesnt like alot of foods, He only started eating cheese pizza a few years ago, the sauce was too slimy! Doctors say, think of a balanced week, not necessarily a balanced diet on a daily basis. He will not touch school lunches and hates fast food, and that is fine with me. I am hoping he will expand his diet as he gets older. He does take gummy vitamains but i dont know if they really do anything. But I think your daughters head aches and tiredness are absolutely related to her diet. Have her go to the grocery store and pick two new foods a week she will add to her diet and lunch at school. 

I have a friend who knew someone who only ate grilled cheese sandwiches. Literally, breakfast lunch and dinner for years and years. Only once he met his fiance did he started eating salad and spaghetti. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)