Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much do you spend on clothes for your teen?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM
  • 14 Replies

How much do you think you spend on clothes for your teen? And do you buy clothes for fall or winter all at one time, like go out and do one big shopping spreee, or do you buy a little at a time, when you see something they want? Do you shop together or do you give them money and they go buy clothes on their own? 

I never have much money to buy my dd new clothes, so it's a little at a time, whenever I have some extra money, or whenever the child support comes in, but it seems like every time I turn around she is saying she needs new jeans, or new shirts, or a sweater, or whatnot. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to just save up the money and try to do one big shopping spree and get it all at once and then tell her I'm done shopping for this season, but I don't know if that would work.

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Before school would start we would shop. I would buy 3 pr khakis, 4pr jeans, 5 button down shirts, 4 golf shirts, 3 or 4 sweaters, shoes, sneakers and a pr of boots. Around Oct I would buy them a new winter coat. I love to shop and am a bargain shopper. My kids got stuff year round.

sail-away
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM
My dd buys her own clothes with her allowance and with any bonuses when I have some extra money.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I only bought as needed, and unless they were in a growth spurt, it wasn't very often. The only ones who seem to need a lot year after year were my boys. They had year round growth spurs.

Of course for school they'd pick out a few things here and there, but nothing outrageous.
bizzeemom2717
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM
We buy the most at the beginning of the school year, Christmas, and spring when weather gets warmer. We both love to shop. I wish I was a bargain shopper I used to be more so but work so many hours now I just don't have time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4boys2002
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM
I shop all the time with my boys we shop almost weekly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM

My dd buys her own clothes.  She's 19, isn't in hs anymore and has a job. When I did buy her clothes the amount spent varied by what she needed.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
My dd was on her break from college last week. Spent about $400 on some new clothes and shoes and boots.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I took her school shopping and spent around 200$.  We went to Plato's Closet and then hit some really good sales.   But if I'm out and see something I think she would like, I usually pick it up.  She has her own opinons now so I can't totally get away with buying stuff for her if she's not there..

Msgme
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Well my son gets new stuff when i find something on sale or i see something he may like and i have some cash thats not accounted for already.   He really does not care what he wears so it doesnt matter.  The start of a school year he may get like 4 or 5 new pairs of jeans.

My dd however i've been really kinda lucky the last few years.  My sister gets a new wardrobe for herself every season.  not sure why tho most of what she wears in the fall can be worn in the winter  or even spring  but she buys new. She also shops via catlaogue  (mostly delias) at the same stores my girls 11 and 14 would shop at.  catalogue shopping is not the smartest decision for my sister because half of what she buys she either doesnt like how it fits or that size 2 looked good on paper but not so much on her. So she will give my girls everything from the last season plus at least half of what she just bought.  So i dont really  need to buy them much.   They get $$ on thier birthdays to  buy whatever they want and its usually clothes.  I buy them  mostly clothes for christmas since thats what they want and thru out the year when i see something they really would like i will buy it for them.

lilmomma625
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

We are a family of 6 living on 1 income and it's a mechanic income so there is NOTHING left after bills, gas and groceries.  I sell on ebay and use that $$ to but the kids clothes.  I buy the lil ones clothes each fall and spring but with my 14 year old daughter, I kinda stopped doing that last year.  She buys her own stuff now with money her dad gives her or what she earns doing chores. Or, she waits till Christmas and uses her $ that the grandparents and everyone else gives her to buy what she wants.  With my approval of course! 

She has found this app called vinted.  She can list clothing she has and doesnt want and people will either buy or it's mostly trading.  She has traded a lot of clothing.  Its pretty cool becuse she's getting "new" clothes and it satisifies her need to have new stuff to wear.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN