Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

If your teen got engaged then they ended up breaking up

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Ida
  • 47 Replies

would your dd give the ring back and would your son expect the ring back.

Either way why or why not.

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM
7 moms liked this

as a teen.... they would be giving it back and we would be having a long talk about marriage.  I know it isnt popular in this group but I am NOT a fan of kids getting married.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM
They would give it back. Just asked my DD 22. It is courtesy. No matter who breaks it off, give it back.
Had friends who got engaged young. She happened to buy wedding bands even though no date set. The guy had them. So they break up. She wanted the wedding bands. He said he wanted the engagement ring. She wanted both. He said no. She kept the ring and put the diamond in a pendant. He sold the wedding bands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lhiannan
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

My daughter would be giving the ring back, and if it happened to one of my sons, I would hope they would get it back, but if the ex/her parents say no, I don't think there would really be a way around that.

sail-away
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I'd want my dd to give it back. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't keep it anyways.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My thoughts exactly. I cannot imagine my kids ever putting themselves in that situation in first place.

Quoting sahlady:

as a teen.... they would be giving it back and we would be having a long talk about marriage.  I know it isnt popular in this group but I am NOT a fan of kids getting married.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ebbierowe
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I got engaged as a teen but didn't get married until I was adult....

Quoting sahlady:

PurpleHazey
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

It was a gift so I say the ring stays.

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

yup

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

My thoughts exactly. I cannot imagine my kids ever putting themselves in that situation in first place.

Quoting sahlady:

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My oldest got engaged at the end of college ,not a teen ,his fiancee broke up a few months after he came home from deployment.She was not able to handle the military spouse life.She is a lovely woman ,that life wasn't for her.She returned the ring nicely with out being asked.He had given her a couple of nice pieces of jewelry as birthday or Christmas presents.She also offered those back as well .He refused ,they were not an engagement ring .

I would expect my daughter to return an engagement ring.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly, if mine were 30 they would give it back. Proper thing to do.

Quoting drfink:

My oldest got engaged at the end of college ,not a teen ,his fiancee broke up a few months after he came home from deployment.She was not able to handle the military spouse life.She is a lovely woman ,that life wasn't for her.She returned the ring nicely with out being asked.He had given her a couple of nice pieces of jewelry as birthday or Christmas presents.She also offered those back as well .He refused ,they were not an engagement ring .

I would expect my daughter to return an engagement ring.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)