Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do your teens use...

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 21 Replies

For acne? My 14 year old sons face has gotten pretty bad, and his insurance won't pay for prescription acne treatments. Anyone have any advice??

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deb51980
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Try OTC benzoyl peroxide at 2.5% at first.  Stronger is not always better.  Stronger has stronger side effects as well.

Use mild soap no more than once a day....try bathing every other day.  Keep shampoo off face.  Use plenty of rinsing.  Your pharmacist can't give you medical advice but can explain what OTCs and prescribed meds are available.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

OK, thank you, I will get him some.

Quoting deb51980:

Try OTC benzoyl peroxide at 2.5% at first.  Stronger is not always better.  Stronger has stronger side effects as well.

Use mild soap no more than once a day....try bathing every other day.  Keep shampoo off face.  Use plenty of rinsing.  Your pharmacist can't give you medical advice but can explain what OTCs and prescribed meds are available.

workingmum2two
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM
My 15 year old loves the St. Ives acne scrub. And it's cheap!
epykpysmom
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I was just talking to a friend about this yesterday as both of us have 12 year old girls starting to break out, esp in the T-zone.  Her older son started using Proactiv and it cleared him up really well so she has started her daughter on it.  She said she could see a difference on her daughter after only two weeks!  I think I am going to try it for my daughter.  Sadly, my poor girl got the acne gene from me!!  crying mini

CampClan
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Not really sure what my DS uses but my DD has one of those Neutragena scrubbing things (a battery operated thing with the small scrubbing pads that are replaceable). 

I also got my 12yo DD Stridex pads.

bizzeemom2717
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:16 AM
I would try to get a letter from your doctor and appeal the insurance decision to deny acne medications. It's a medical diagnosis? Acne is bacteria under the skin that can get infected and if bad enough will cause permanent scarring. I work with medical billing and have never heard of this type of denial? My DS had acne at the same age that started getting out of control and I took him to the derm thank goodness before any scarring occurred. With my dd she 15 I didn't even risk it and took her immediately when she first began to break out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Not to be too dumb but...my older three rarely had breakouts so I just got them some wash ,drying spot stuff and moisturizer for oily skin.Now my youngest has more break outs than his siblings but he'll have a few then none then a few and on and on.How do you know if it is a dr visit worthy or simple bumps.Mine hate leaving school or missing extracurricular activities for a docs or dentist appt...so it better be worthy.....LOL School is just a pain to make up .

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I would try to get a letter from your doctor and appeal the insurance decision to deny acne medications. It's a medical diagnosis? Acne is bacteria under the skin that can get infected and if bad enough will cause permanent scarring. I work with medical billing and have never heard of this type of denial? My DS had acne at the same age that started getting out of control and I took him to the derm thank goodness before any scarring occurred. With my dd she 15 I didn't even risk it and took her immediately when she first began to break out

bizzeemom2717
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Our family doc said when it gets to the point of being "cystic" actually making dents into the skin and beyond the face, neck, back and chest. If there is a strong hereditary link, bio dad has acne scarring, and also if OTC diff products have not worked with good, reg use and good hygiene (my kids do sports lots of sweat gotta keep up lol). Then it's time for a derm visit. My DS was an extreme case. However my dd uses a WONDERFUL rx lotion once at night that keeps things at bay. Oh and she uses it right after volleyball. Just really depends I guess on those 3 factors :)

Quoting drfink:

Not to be too dumb but...my older three rarely had breakouts so I just got them some wash ,drying spot stuff and moisturizer for oily skin.Now my youngest has more break outs than his siblings but he'll have a few then none then a few and on and on.How do you know if it is a dr visit worthy or simple bumps.Mine hate leaving school or missing extracurricular activities for a docs or dentist appt...so it better be worthy.....LOL School is just a pain to make up .

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd used the Walmart version of Proactive when she was having bad breakouts. It has 3 products in the package (wash, toner, lotion). It worked well and didn't dry out her skin.

suesues
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM

ask your dr and my dermo gives you coupon cards for dicount meds or call pharmacy and ask

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN