Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Volunteering

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 17 Replies

Usually when our kids are in elementary, we're active in volunteering at school and other extracurricular activities. But sometimes there seems to be a drop-off in that as our kids get older.

Do you still volunteer at your teen's school or other extracurricular activities?

If yes, what kind of volunteering do you do?

If no, are there just no opportunities to still be active in your child's interests? Or do you find some other way to help out with their interests?

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Dh is ds scoutmaster and I am event's co-ordinator.  I was dd's Girl Scout leader for 12 years.  I  worked post prom, concessions at football games in high school to earn money for band, lacrosse, and other things.  I volunteered at the pool parties for football, worked the book distribution day, and have gone on field trips.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I quit volunteering after grade school. Volunteer for 2 non profits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I volunteer with their theater group at school.I sell intermission snacks from our Hole in the Wall...the nickname and another mom and I organize the food for the production nights and run ...comment ,copy the rehearsal schedules ,post pics on the parents FB page.Head of phone tree for CC in case there is a change of plan...emails don't always get seen soon enough.My husband organizes water for LAX and I help ....hahahahaha ...keep stats during the games.Bwahahaha they will never ask help from me again .Occasionally judge at debate or quizbowl.One of my bffs is in charge of the college center sooooo apparently I'll be helping there soon.

Volunteer at the teen health clinic at our county hospital.I work with sexually active teens .Helping them to decide on b.c AND condoms....every time.This is a spin off from being an Active in the Junior League. There is a sign above my desk that says ...a tisket a tasket a condom or a casket.I volunteer cook in my church kitchen ,we have a freezer of yummy casseroles ,pies and soups.Members and neighbors of the church buy the food and all profit goes to support our off site food kitchen and pantry in a needful area.I love this volunteer job...I cook but I don't do the dishes ....my dream kitchen....lol.I am moving more towards these type volunteering interests so I will have things already in place when my youngest goes to college in a couple of years.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Not yet, but I plan to. I wasn't sure if I wanted to volunteer or not until the 9th grade orientation in August when I found out about the different opportunities to volunteer. He is my oldest, I have three younger sons so there is plenty of time...

askmommy
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Yes. The boys are in band so we chaperone, sell pretzels, work at the cavalcade, etc.
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes we do a lot but it's different than elementary 

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I've been kind of MIA from CM the past couple weeks because I was volunteering as a co-coordinator for my son's hockey association. It kept me really busy.

My son isn't in high school yet (still in 8th grade), so I was curious to see what kind of opportunities might be available to help out once we're done with the needs of association hockey.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Wow, you are busy, but in a good way!

My son's hockey association needs parent volunteers to fill out the game stats, and I'm too afraid to do it. I know I'd just screw it up because I have a hard enough time understanding the calls half the time as a spectator....LOL

Quoting drfink:

I volunteer with their theater group at school.I sell intermission snacks from our Hole in the Wall...the nickname and another mom and I organize the food for the production nights and run ...comment ,copy the rehearsal schedules ,post pics on the parents FB page.Head of phone tree for CC in case there is a change of plan...emails don't always get seen soon enough.My husband organizes water for LAX and I help ....hahahahaha ...keep stats during the games.Bwahahaha they will never ask help from me again .Occasionally judge at debate or quizbowl.One of my bffs is in charge of the college center sooooo apparently I'll be helping there soon.

Volunteer at the teen health clinic at our county hospital.I work with sexually active teens .Helping them to decide on b.c AND condoms....every time.This is a spin off from being an Active in the Junior League. There is a sign above my desk that says ...a tisket a tasket a condom or a casket.I volunteer cook in my church kitchen ,we have a freezer of yummy casseroles ,pies and soups.Members and neighbors of the church buy the food and all profit goes to support our off site food kitchen and pantry in a needful area.I love this volunteer job...I cook but I don't do the dishes ....my dream kitchen....lol.I am moving more towards these type volunteering interests so I will have things already in place when my youngest goes to college in a couple of years.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Kudos to your husband for being scoutmaster. I know that takes a lot of work. Also kudos to you for being a leader for 12 years. Those are big commitments, but they pay off in the end.

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

Dh is ds scoutmaster and I am event's co-ordinator.  I was dd's Girl Scout leader for 12 years.  I  worked post prom, concessions at football games in high school to earn money for band, lacrosse, and other things.  I volunteered at the pool parties for football, worked the book distribution day, and have gone on field trips.  

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I've never been in band, and my high school didn't have strings. So I quit playing at that age. Do you chaperone for concerts that are off campus?

Quoting askmommy:

Yes. The boys are in band so we chaperone, sell pretzels, work at the cavalcade, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN