Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Was This Bad Teen Behavior or a Hate Crime?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 15 Replies

10 Black Teens Brutally Beat Up White Couple in Hate-Filled Attack

by Lisa Fogarty

How many times have you been stopped at a red light that turned green and have become frustrated by a pedestrian taking his time to cross the road? If you live in a city, it's something that happens on almost a daily basis. Chances are, you take a deep breath and leave it well enough alone. Or maybe you honk once and get a dirty look in return. Well, for one couple in Brooklyn, their reaction to this same situation made them victims of a brutal attack and has put them in the center of what some are calling a racial hate crime.

Ronald and Alana Russo, who are Caucasian, were driving by a popular mall in Brooklyn on an early Monday evening when they stopped at a traffic light. As the light turned green, a group of 10 African American teens, whose ages ranged from 12 to 18, were reportedly crossing the street. Because he figured he had the right of way, Ronald honked his horn, which reportedly spurred the teens to begin kicking the couple's car.

Ronald got out to assess the damage to the car -- a bold, but not totally crazy thing to do, particularly when you figure you're dealing with kids and what's the worst that can happen -- and then the worst happened. The teens punched and kicked Ronald in the head, leaving him with a fractured nose, broken septum, blood clot, and damage to his shoulder. They also reportedly called him a "white motherf****r" and shouted, "Get those crackers!" and "Get that white whore." 

Not content to just brutally beat the man, his wife -- who was attempting to call 911 -- was dragged to the ground by the 12-year-old. Her head was slammed against the pavement and she suffered a black eye, bleeding, and difficulty breathing. Since the incident, four teens, including the 12-year-old, have been arrested and police are still searching for other suspects. 

What terrifies me about this story, other than the fact that I still think of tweens as children who play with dolls and could never do anything like this, is that the couple wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time. They were trying to get through a green light. They did something as harmless as honking a horn. Where did this anger come from and why direct it toward the couple at that time?

The fact that they beat the couple doesn't make it a hate crime, it just makes it a heinous, disgusting crime. But their racial slurs definitely, absolutely make this a hate crime, and I don't feel anyone will benefit from it being labeled as anything but. 

What do you think? Were these just teens making bad decisions or was this a hate crime?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM
The slurs make it a hate crime. It's likely not going to be charged as that. Because then it's yet another issue that the Caucasian couple somehow only honked ONLY because the group was black and had nothing to do with the obvious green light.

Hate crime
Re: black people against white is for some reason never considered a hate crime from what I keep reading.
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Hate crime
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM

It is a hate crime but because it wasn't directed against a minority, it will not be handled as such.  I guess you could argue the fact that the wife was attacked it was against a minority but everyone knows it is not going to be looked at that way.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM

The racial slurs make it a hate crime.

HopesNDreams
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM
It was racially motivated, therefore it was a hate crime. Are minorities permitted to assault Caucasian people based solely on their race? Sorry, but the answer is no. All people must be protected from bias, hate , and bigotry no matter what the color of the person who is sending it out.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

The couple did not deserve to be brutally beaten, but I don't think it was a smart decision for Ronald to get out of the car. I am African American and if I was in that situation at a traffic light I would not get out of my vehicle if there was a group of 10 men, 10 teenagers,  10 tweens or a mixture of all three no matter what race they were!

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM

it was a hate crime because of the slurs.Some horribly violent young men...they tuned it into a hate crime with the slurs.They were justifying their behavior by degrading a different race.I suspect they would do the same ...hate crime against women ...gender ,elderly....age ,gay or lesbian...sexual preference.Yes it was a hate crime.

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Quoting diaperstodating:

The couple did not deserve to be brutally beaten, but I don't think it was a smart decision for Ronald to get out of the car. I am African American and if I was in that situation at a traffic light I would not get out of my vehicle if there was a group of 10 men, 10 teenagers,  10 tweens or a mixture of all three no matter what race they were!

Recently I was out pretty late coming home alone from a girls night.My car has auto door locks but hadn't clicked that night.I was sitting at a light and a group of young men ...older teens ,early 20's ....were crossing not at the curb but level with my door.I hit my locks ,apparently they could hear the sound because one shot the bird at me.They didn't do anything else .I wanted to laugh ,in that situation I would lock my doors no matter the race or age of the guys.I wanted to ask them do they really think a middle aged woman in a car by herself ,in an unlocked car doesn't have concerns about ANY group of men approaching her car.

suesues
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM

if it was white kids beating black couple it would be all over the news as racial profiling and AL Sharpion would lead the rally we white just take it and keep the peice ?????

juno1
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Well..... I would say taking part in a hate crime is a pretty bad decision.  Yes...this seems, like a 'by the book',  hate crime. In my opinion, they should be charged accordingly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN