Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: My 13 yr old son is being rude and disresctful...

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 8 Replies

My 13 yr old son is being rude and disrespectful to everyone,adults and siblings.He has already served in school and after school detentions because of his attitude.Any advice on how to put a stop to this

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

How are you handling it at home? You need to find his "currency" and be consistent w/ the discipline. He will fight you on it, but will eventually get the message.

MockingJay
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Any positive relationships or things happening for him? 

duets
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Has anything new happened, or is this his typical?  Try to talk to him to get to the bottom of it, as to why or what has caused this new conduct, cause & affect. Peer group @ school needs further evaluation?  

If I were to give any words of advice.....maybe involvement in after school activities (basketball etc, band).  Karate, is awesome, it teaches the importance of respect/principles etc in a way that kids/teens understand.

Courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control & indomitable spirit.  Good luck Mom! 

1kidmomajm
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Has anyone at home or at school had a talk with him about if things are bothering him, listening without critisicm? What can be done to help him not feel this way. But still he needs things taken away and he can earn them back.

Pnukey
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Absolutely, find his "currency." I had a student last year, 13 or 14, I don't remember, who was like this in class every day. His currency was soccer. After missing half the games due to his F in my math class, he straightened up. I made sure to provide plenty of praise (and higher grades) when his behavior improved and his assignments got turned in. He is a great soccer player.

I checked on him this year, and he hasn't given any of his teachers any problems because he learned his lesson.

dizzymom31
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Is it a sudden change?  I also wonder if there's something going on, such as bullying.  If he won't talk to you or a school counselor about what's happening, maybe there's another adult that he looks up to (such as an uncle) that he would talk to.  If it's just a bad attitude, I also recommend taking everything good away until he shows the respect that he should.  Good luck!

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM

What have you tried as discipline so far?

Have you asked him why his attitude has changed? Or has this been going on for awhile?

juno1
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Kind of need more info...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)