Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

14-Year-Old Student Accused in Horrific Killing of Popular Young Teacher

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 9 Replies

14-Year-Old Student Accused in Horrific Killing of Popular Young Teacher

by Rebecca Stokes

school A young math teacher goes missing the same night as a 14-year-old student at her school. The 14-year-old is found later that night walking down the side of a busy commercial street. The young math teacher is also found, dead, on the grounds behind her school. It's like the beginning of a deeply upsetting mystery film. Only it isn't fiction. It's real life.

Twenty-four-year-old Colleen Ritzer, a math teacher in Massachusetts, was killed, her body left not far from the school where she had spent most of her days enthusiastically sharing her passion for math. Her Twitter bio describes her as a "Math teacher often too excited about the topics I'm teaching." The dearth of teachers truly passionate about their calling makes Ritzer's senseless death all the most devastating.

The police were called when Ritzer did not return home from work on Tuesday night. Across town, the parents of a missing teenager were equally frantic, looking for their son who never came home from school. When the police arrived at the high school to look for Ritzer, what they saw spelled disaster: Blood, easily spotted, in the first-floor bathroom. It wasn't long before they found Ritzer herself.

While what happened in that school still remains unknown, the police confirmed that the same teenage boy reported missing had been picked up. He is now being held as a suspect in Colleen Ritzer's death. If the boy is responsible, this presents us with more questions than it does answers.

What could have driven the boy to murder? What boundaries were crossed that this could happen? Schools should be the safest places there are. But they just aren't. At least, not lately. This is just one more example of the violence that seems to have become almost commonplace in their halls. Clearly something went terribly wrong if a crime so horrific could take place.

What can schools do to protect their students and their teachers who are still on school grounds even after the bell's rung?

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

WTF is wrong with some kids today.  They are evil devil children.  You hear this more and more.  So sad. 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids today have been spoon fed that they are soooo special, that saying sorry will fix anything, and their feelings trumps any one else's feeling, lives, etc...  This is what you get from over indulgent society.

Pnukey
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM

The kid probably got a bad grade or something and just flipped out. He's probably used to getting a gold star for everything, even failure. I am presuming a lot, I know. 

The only thing I would caution teachers about (since I am one) is to not stay on campus unless there are plenty of other people there, especially if you work in a bad area, like I do.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM

This is right near me and so so sad. 

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM

The thing is this is a very nice town with little to no problems. Its a place you leave your doors unlocked. The schools is "bad" areas seem to be the safer schools because they have the police on school grounds and metal detectors. They are also the schools with a no tolerance rules. 

Quoting Pnukey:

The kid probably got a bad grade or something and just flipped out. He's probably used to getting a gold star for everything, even failure. I am presuming a lot, I know. 

The only thing I would caution teachers about (since I am one) is to not stay on campus unless there are plenty of other people there, especially if you work in a bad area, like I do.

nikolepuckett
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Its so sad things like this are happening! I think we should bring GOD back into school! Imo things like this would never happen if we didn't take GOD out of our everyday lives. again this is just my opinion !
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
This kid was new to the state and school.

Quoting Jessiejack:

The thing is this is a very nice town with little to no problems. Its a place you leave your doors unlocked. The schools is "bad" areas seem to be the safer schools because they have the police on school grounds and metal detectors. They are also the schools with a no tolerance rules. 

Quoting Pnukey:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM

The teacher was from my home town.  I did not know her.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Sounds like he planed it. It's so sad.

Quoting atlmom2:

This kid was new to the state and school.

Quoting Jessiejack:

Quoting Pnukey:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN